Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Packer nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Packer nation

Afternoon guys/ gals,

Stopping by to say hello from the Green Bay Packer nation! I am a novice outdoor cooking enthusiast looking to expand my skill set around the grill.

Current setup is a Weber 22" kettle and a nearly deceased Walmart special two-burner gas grill. I am in the market for a new unit, which is one of the reasons I subscribed to this site and purchased the Meathead book. I have been researching a little while and have my eyes on the Weber Genesis E-310. I never have been too fond of the external cooking burners.

If you happen to have any input on a replacement outdoor cooker I am all ears.

Thanks in advance for the welcomes and I hope to contribute and learn a lot on my BBQ journey!

Cheers,
    Wes

Welcome to the Pit! We are happy to have you. (Even though I'm a Vikes fan) chefnerd

Comment

Welcome from the proud father of a Packers owner. I would add a SlowNSear to the 22" and Pit Barrel cooker to replace the gasser. That's just me and I am still working on convincing my wife that we need a Komodo Kamado Big Bad 32" lol....someday.
      How many do you cook for on an average day?
      Last edited by martybartram; May 31, 2016, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• chefnerd
        chefnerd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the welcome. I currently cook for 4, but would like to plan on cooking for 6-8 guests permitting.

• martybartram
        martybartram commented
        Editing a comment
        In that case I stand by my recommendation the PBC is enticing as it is affordable and ready to go out of the box and if I don't go ceramic that is what I am going to get.

Greetings, Wes ... welcome to the Pit! Now that Peyton has retired, I'm not sure who to root for ... are Packers an option???

Comment

Welcome chefnerd

Comment

Welcome to The Pit chefnerd! We're glad you're here. What meats would you cook on the new grill?

Comment

Honestly, 90% of the time it would be steak, burgers, brats, chicken and pork chops. I grilled a few pizzas on the old gasser that turned out pretty good. I also cook the standard foil packets of potatoes or veggies from the garden.

On the weekends is where I would "explore" the low and slow world with ribs. I haven't ever had or cooked a brisket (something I should try too). I REALLY enjoy the convince of a gas but wonder if I can achieve all this versatility in cooking that I would like to try.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! It is a great place to learn.

Comment

chefnerd, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now in the BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory! In My humble opinion You will be Happier over the Long Haul Converting to Charcoal or Wood Fired Grills for Smoking! I have two 22 1/2" Weber Kettles one a Performer Deluxe, w/Propane Ignitor, and a Vortex Accessory that I like very much! I also have an older Weber Performer that has an S 'n S and a SS Baffle to direct Air from the BBQGURU Digi Q-2 Fan to the Coals in the S 'n S! I also have a Modified COS Brinkman for larger Cooks! I believe if I was looking for a New Smoker I would look at the 26" Weber Kettle and S 'n S, or the New Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
              Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 1, 2016, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I 2nd everyone else, while the Weber Genesis is a great grill (I own one) the money is better spent elsewhere. Youll never get the tenderness and moistness on a bad grill like you very from charcoal. My gasser now sits collecting dust.

Comment

the weber genesis is definitely a great gasser. when I assembled mine I could tell the difference in quality before the parts started going together. I used mine a LOT when I first got it, but now that I have a kettle, it only gets used for a handful of things where charcoal wont really affect the flavor anyway, like still husked corn, or want more controlled low/med temp direct heat. The Genisis was a good choice for being the only grill on the deck. If I had it to do over, knowing that I would end up with several cookers, I would probably step down to the weber spirit. same quality, similar features, just a little smaller.

if you want a gasser because its 'quicker' for weeknight cooks, remember that it takes 15-20 min to fully pre-heat to high temp. Meanwhile, a full chimney of KBB will also be ready in about 15 minutes, so there isn't much time savings. There is virtually nothing that the genesis can do that you can do as well or better on the kettle. and you'll have leftover funds to buy toys like SnS, controllers, Thermapen, etc.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it! It seems like I need to research the add-ons for my existing Weber Kettle.

Comment

chefnerd ...

Now that you've join the Pit... You're going to learn how to grill and how to BBQ, 2 very different ways of cooking great food.

The longer you are here and the more you absorb of the science of outdoor cooking... What you cook on will become less important. However because of our obsession most Pit members have many different types of cookers.

You can grill a really great steak on your charcoal starter, if you know how! We come here to learn how to cook great food, the right way. Be it on a gasser, a kettle, a big smoker, a Kamado or a charcoal starter.😎

Some like gas, some like charcoal, some like wood... But, they ALL produce kick ass food.👌

It's not about what you cook on, it's about how you cook on what's available.😎

However... I'm an Arizona Cardinals fan😆👍
                      Last edited by Breadhead; June 1, 2016, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Thanks again guys for the great input! The Meathead book just arrived at my doorstep this afternoon just in time for the plane ride down to Memphis.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here