Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Washington Twp Michigan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Washington Twp Michigan!

I have been cooking professionally as a Chef for over 30 years. I have been dabbling in BBQ for about 3-4 years seriously. I currently have a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite electric smoker. I know....electric!! LOL. It works for my sub backyard. We just purchased a home on over an acre and I am looking to invest in a decent wood/charcoal smoker. I have about $800 to spend. I would like something that I could do about 3 briskets at a time and prefer an offset. Any Pitmasters out there have any suggestions or recommendations?? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome! ... and I seriously recommend that you have a look at the Pit Barrel Cooker, too ...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I hope you will share your food experience as a chef. The folks in the Pit will be more than willing to share their smoking experience.

Comment

• creolechef64
        creolechef64 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. It's great to be a member

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        creolechef64 I grew up in New Orleans. Any chance you have roots down that way? I have thought exploring smoking and grilling with a Creole flair.

• creolechef64
        creolechef64 commented
        Editing a comment
        No roots in New Orleans. Just really like the cuisine and learned about the cooking from an old relative.

Welcome aboard creolechef64! We're glad you're here. Looking forward to hearing about your cooks and seeing some photos. See you around.

Comment

• creolechef64
        creolechef64 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I will definitely share. Cajun creole, meat butchery, seafood, Italian, Southern, everything from down home to fine dining.

Welcome to the Pit creolechef64 !

Comment

Welcome creolechef64

Comment

creolechef64 dont know how much this will help but here goes. go read What meathead has to say about off set smokers (http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...t_smokers.html) I read Franklins Barbque book. it said cooking with wood was the only way. I went out and bought a middle of the line off set (Oklahoma Joe highlander). I was using a pellet smoker and a faux Kamado (with a temp control unit that made it set and forget) I was use to putting on the meat and then going back inside with my wireless Thermometer and waiting for the stall. Sleeping during all night cooks. But no more That off set demands attention and it wants it about ever 40 to 60 min. (or about 15 trips during a 10 cook) you gotta cut the splits to the right size! They call it hard wood for a reason!! its hard to split lol. I have done 4 cooks in my off set made a pretty darn good Brisket some so so Ribs I'm burnt out I'm gonna do a Pork shoulder in it Monday if it is as much of a drain as the others the Off set is gonna start collecting dust. (glad I didn't spend a lot of money on it) Maybe you should see if any of your friends (or someone from this forum lives close) has an offset and let you do a simple cook on it like a tri tip it only takes a couple of hours to cook. I'm most likely just a whiner! I know I'm lazy! so dont take what I say to seriously. ow just to make this post a little longer! 800 is kind of no mans land the cheap ones like mine or around 400 bucks the really good ones (I would suggest looking into a revers flow off set. The cheapest I can find of those is 1200 bucks (and that's bare bones) The amount of space you need for 3 briskets at a time means a bigger SQ inch than I think you can get for 800 bucks. Green Mountain Grills has a pellet smoker for around that price that may fill the bill. Good luck with your search. A lot of these guys swear by the Weber kettles (18 and 22") and the pit barrel cooker is gaining a lot of Praise (that's where I'm thinking I'll go next if I dump the off set) have a good Holiday weekend.

Comment

creolechef64, Welcome to The Pit! You are now enrolled in BBQ Univ! Attendance is Mandatory! You are probably qualified to go right into the Masters Program! I am just a BackYard Cremator with two 22 1/2" Weber Kettles one is a Summit Performer Deluxe, the other an Older Performer! The older one has been Modified by adding a BBQ Guru DigiQ-2 Temp Control and an accessory S 'n S (Sow & Sear) by Adrenaline BBQ Co.,ABC.Com! I also have a 20 Ga SS Baffle over the Coal Grate between the S 'n S Water Reservoir to the opposite side of the Kettle! This combination gives nearly Perfect Temp Contol! I also have a Brinkman COS that I have modified with firebrick and SS Baffles! It is Mainly called into Service for Larger Cooks! As GadjetGriller, Said it takes More and Continuous Attention! I truly Like It! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 29, 2016, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit creolechef64! Great to have you and your experience here. It would be hard to recommend a decent offset for $800, they're just more expensive than that for one big enough to do 3 briskets, and one that's worth buying in the first place. However a Pit Barrel Cooker is a great option, and you'll even have $500 left over for meat!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here