Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New kamado owner from MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kamado owner from MO

Hi all, my name is Scott and I just purchased a new primo round kamado. I also just started following this website after I came across Meathead's new book--what a wonderful resource!

I do have one quick question regarding my new grill. This could be a dumb quesrion, but I'm just being overly safety paranoid-- I do not have a stand for my kamado and I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would be a problem if i set it straight on my wood deck? I have a grill mat that I would put it on but I guess I'm just wondering if the heat from the kamado would be too tough on the deck without some sort of barrier there.

sasgxb ... Welcome to the Pit.👍

Your safety concern is legitimate. Your Kamado can exceed 1000°. I wouldn't put it on a wood surface without having a fire brick between the wood deck and the bottom of your cooker. The grill mat is a good idea too.

I have my large BGE inserted in a wood table with a fire brick sitting between the wood and the BGE. The fire brick will not get as hot as the bottom of the BGE so it dampens the heat to the wood table considerably.
    Attached Files

Comment

What Breadhead says. I put mine on a paving stone, with the feet under it, until I got a table to set it in. You don't have to get a table, the stand works just as well.

Nice grill, btw.

Comment

sasgxb - As has been pointed out, it is imperative that you have at least a 1/2" air gap between the bottom of your kamado and anything combustible. These kamado bottoms and sides can get very hot over the duration of a long cook. Air is a wonderful insulator. Grill mats aren't made for the type of sustained heat your kamado will subject it to.

All you really need is 4 1/2" plumbing T's to set your kamado on. You can source those anywhere. Just spread them evenly in a square pattern about 2" in from the edge of your kamado and you're good to go.

Comment

Welcome to the pit!

Comment

sasgxb, Welcome to The Pit! I think you are getting good advice from Breadhead and Mosca! I am a Weber Guy so I will just wish you well!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Whoa now, there can only be one "Scott" who is a kamado owner on the Forum!!!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Scott! (You too, Scott) ...

Comment

Welcome sasgxb

Comment

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys--looking forward to learning from you all!

Comment

sasgxb ...

As a Kamado owner you've joined at the right time. CeramicChef started a seminar on Kamado cookers & cooking on them. He comes out with different topics as he has time. Over the next few months all of the important topics will be covered. Knowing what your new cooker is capable of and how to do it will be good for new Kamado owners.

Comment

While my kamado isn't as nice as yours, it has one thing in common: Safety! Yes you should insulate the bottom of your kamado from combustible materials. But, having said that, I can burn off my kamado at 700+ degrees, and never worry about fire. My cooking situation is my Akorn on my all wood porch, as its close to the kitchen, right? Low ceiling, and combustable material all around, and I have had zero problems. I might screw up a cook, or(worse) have a ton of grease to burn off when a cook is completed. In any case, high temps are no biggie with your kamado.

Welcome to our pit!

Comment

A belated welcome to The Pit sasgxb! Glad to have you here. As you can see, we have a great bunch of talented cooks & BBQ gearheads here to help out, all of this makes The Pit a great place to be.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here