Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To China and Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To China and Back

Started reading/studying this site when I was living in Shanghai for 5 years and craving BBQ. Bought and shipped an ceramaic cooker over just to make Meathead's pastrami. I have been hooked ever since. Back in the USA and grilling away!

I'm surprised you had to import a ceramic when many of the popular models sold in the USA are made in China. Indeed, the Chinese are known for manufacturing all types of ceramic products.

Comment

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Just because it's manufactured here, doesn't mean you can buy it here. In fact, usually the factory is explicitly forbidden from selling into the Chinese market. There is little demand for ceramic cookers as Chinese BBQ style calls for fast grilling of meat sticks and vegetables.

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      AHA! That's interesting.

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
    I'm surprised you had to import a ceramic when many of the popular models sold in the USA are made in China. Indeed, the Chinese are known for manufacturing all types of ceramic products.
    Agree - but the quality of the ceramic was not the same as made in US or elsewhere.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      What ceramic kamados are you referring to? Primo is the only kamado I can think of made i the USA. The Chinese have been making high quality ceramics forever. For example, Kamado Joe is made in China.

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Just because they make decorative ceramics doesn't mean they can make ceramic cookers. Kamado Joe isn't made in China due to their history, but rather because it's cheaper to make there.

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      The Chinese manufacture all manner of ceramic items from industrial parts to kamados. They manaufacture to clients specs and will make cheap or high quality as ordered. Kamado Joe products are excellent. Other than Primo, what US kamado manufacturers are you referring to?

Mmmmmmmmm pastrami. I have almost 8 pounds in the cure right now.

Comment

stevenv55125 - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome aboard stevenv55125. Glad you're here!

Comment

stevenv55125, Welcome Home! Welcome to The Pit! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! My ceramic is a BGE.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit stevenv55125! Nice to have you here with us, thank you for the support. Pastrami will definitely hook you!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

I don't disagree, Max Good, but those brands were not available to me in the China market. The one's that were, were of cheap quality and finishes and thus I brought a Primo over to ensure the quality that I wanted. Having lived there, I know too well, "You get what you pay for, except in China, where you get less" moto that the expats have.
                Last edited by stevenv55125; May 9, 2016, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Max Good
                  Max Good commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well all's well that ends well. Primo is mighty good.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here