Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit! We are happy to have you.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit (Whitey) from another Texan!

Comment

Here is my 2 cents, for what its worth (hopefully at least 2 cents lol). I have a GMG Daniel Boone (its an older one no wifi or remote)> I'm one of those people that thought it didn't put out enough smoke flavor. It was great for Turkey or fish but not great for big hunks of meat. That was then 3 or 4 years ago, the pellets they were selling were mostly alder wood (the most mild one) with liquid smoke mixed in. that didnt work so well. Now the manufactures have had time to figure out real wood is the way to go. GMG started selling a variety called Premium Texas Blend(which is where im from) That proved me wrong (about not enough smoke) Also and this turned out to be a big difference maker! Get the best Meat you can! (there are 3 types Select, Choice, & Prime) I was just using the supermarket type (Select) putting store bought brisket rub and throwing it on the smoker! Surprise it didn't taste that good!?!? Get a Costco (or Sams I prefer Costco) membership and get some Choice meat (I like the choice its lightyears better than select and I believe its, for the price difference, almost as good as prime) just upgrading to Choice meat will produce a 100 times better taste. Now if you inject and make your own rub and well you get the idea!! enjoy the new smoker I'm very jealous of the remote dont even have to get out of bed to check over night cooks!! I'm lazy what can I say lol

Comment

Dang I forgot to mention I got a Amazing Tube to hopefully augment the smoke flavor of the GMG. 1st off there are 2 sizes I bought the larger size Thinking it would last through long Brisket cooks. Don't its really to big to fit anywhere buy the smaller one. I figured I could also use it for cold smoking cheese. (which I have and it worked great my only problem was finding a box big enough for it fit into with out touching the sides) The green mountain grill uses a fan to circulate the smoke and heat (like a convection oven) which produced a problem it kept blowing out the pellets in the tube plus the positive air flow (from the fan) pushed the smoke it did produce out the chimney faster than I wanted. So if you want to cold smoke stuff Buy the SMALL tube otherwise just follow the instructions that come with the GMG start the cook at 180 for an hour to 90 min for the smoke then crank it up to 225 to finish the cook. Takes a little more time but works great.

Comment

• (Whitey)
            (Whitey) commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks your comments were very helpful

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here