Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Southern California!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Southern California!

Hello all!

I've been reading the site for a few months now (maybe a year), and had been wanting to subscribe for a while now to help support it. I love the model of a subscription-supported site with loads of quality free content rather than the usual ad-supported dreck you find on the net these days. I finally came up with the disposable income to sign up, so here I am

A little background: I've been sort of the designated family grillmaster since my teens, and studied cooking for a while hoping to make a career of it. Eventually, though, my first love (technology) won out and I wound up writing various kinds of software for a decade or so and now designing electronics and writing firmware for embedded processors. With 3 small kids I don't have much time or spare income lately for hobbies of any kind, but with what little I do have I've managed to assemble a small fleet of weber kettles, a hand-me-down COS, a homebrew sous vide system, and an immersion circulating one, and made them do my bidding. I've also been tinkering with a custom remote monitoring system for the COS, and ever-so-slowly squirreling money away for something nicer.

I haven't looked around the forums much yet but I'm hoping to find a place where I can share my projects and see others' work as well.

-- James

Welcome t the pit James, looking forward to some pics of your smoking endeavors. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Welcome james! As a father of 3 kids I definitely understand what your saying. Better get your toys when u can because when college rolls around.. forget it!! Lol welcome to the pit. Start a discussion with your question or opinions and it doesn't take very long to get the help u need; advice or other peoples opinions. Nobody will knock u for your questions. The stupidest question I tell my employees is the one u never ask!! Welcome to the pit!!

Comment

mokus, Welcome to The Pit! Man in my HOP you are Maturing into a Pit Master in exactly the Right Way! Two suggestions for you, acquire a Dual Probe Digital Thermometer (Maverick 732 or 733) and a Thermapen Instant Read Thermometer if you don't have them! Also look at a S 'n S for your Webers! I have a Brinkman COS that I have Modified but don't use too much! Keep at it Young Feller! Oh by the way any formal computer training I have had was in Fortran, Punch Cards, and Readers and all that C---!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit mokus! Thanks for your support here and welcome aboard. I'm with you on 3 small kids and not much disposable income! Since you have a fleet of Weber kettles, I second Dan's suggestion of looking into a Slow 'N Sear for at least one of them. You'll love what it'll do for your smoking endeavors.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! It is a fun place to be.

Comment

mokus -welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession!

Comment

Welcome aboard mokus. Glad you're here!

Comment

Welcome mokus

Comment

Welcome, James ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit James. We're glad you're here!

Comment

Welcome to the pit James !

Comment

Welcome to The Pit mokus! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Thanks everyone, happy to be here! And thanks Danjohnston949 for the suggestions. I've actually got my computer receiving the signals from my older maverick (ET-73, a dual-probe unit which was the predecessor to the ET-732/733) and it works very nicely. The biggest problem with that model is that the range on the stock receiver is very poor, but the RF protocol the transmitter uses is very simple and reasonably robust, so I've had good luck receiving it up to around 200 yards away (and more importantly, I can log it ). I'm also working on a homebrew solar-powered board for reading up to 16 probes and a few other sensors and transmitting the data to my computer, though like all my projects it's moving way too slowly.

I'm also hoping to pick up an SnS one of these days too - I love simple well-executed solutions like that. In the meantime, I've always had very good luck on my webers with the snake technique, wrapping the coals around a 1/2 hotel pan of hot water.

Comment

• mokus
                              mokus commented
                              Editing a comment
                              oh, forgot to mention the best part of the et-73 - i got it for free with my COS from a great-aunt

Welcome to the Pit. Happy to have you here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here