Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to BBQ

Hello all, I just bought my first pellet smoker/grill and pretty excited to start using it. I got a MAK 2 Star general. I am very excited to see if I can grasp this HUGE subject they call BBQ a lot of information some overwhelming but should be a lot of fun..

Welcome kfaber !

You have come to the right place to ask question and learn.

Get you a good digital thermometer to use monitor the temp of whatever protein you are cooking and you will be off to a great start.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit kfaber! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome! Looks like you started out with a great cooker!

Comment

welcome!

it is a lot of information. i suggest tackling one thing (pulled pork) and just start there. a lot of the concepts apply to the other stuff. once you are comfortable doing 1 thing, the hurdle is much smaller for everything else

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Glad you are here. Good luck with that new cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by kfaber View Post
              Hello all, I just bought my first pellet smoker/grill and pretty excited to start using it. I got a MAK 2 Star general. I am very excited to see if I can grasp this HUGE subject they call BBQ a lot of information some overwhelming but should be a lot of fun..
              It can be overwhelming at first but don't get discouraged, even if your first few cooks don't meet your expectations. That's part of the learning curve and before long you'll be putting out mouth drooling Q.

By the way, welcome to the pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit kfaber . Have fun learning the wonderful world of smoking meats! Don't be shy about asking questions.

Comment

Welcome kfaber

Comment

Welcome!

At mentioned above start with one thing and build up. I suggest pulled pork. A pork butt is very forgiving. As long as you have a good thermometer (i.e. Maverick 732) it is hard to go wrong. Get the cook temp dialed in and sit back and enjoy the day. You should be happy with the first one as long as long as you get the hang of maintaining cooking temp on your rig.

Comment

I'll second @bogtx. I like doing mine at 225 to an internal temp of 200 to 205. It will take you 12 hours plus, unless you have a really small butt. I start mine the night before, pull it, wrap it and put it I a faux cambro until it is time to serve at noon. Ask and you shall receive lot's of help in the Pit. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit kfaber! Thanks for your support here. Wow, a MAK2 for your first smoker, you skipped the entry level and went straight for the Corvette (or perhaps that's more the Hummer of pellet smokers). Congrats on that!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

kfaber, Welcome to The Pit! I have never used a Pellet Cooker, but from what I glean from those who have you have a Good One!
                            Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Hello and welcome! I was new too when I first found this site. I'm still new, but better. Good people here. Have fun and post pics! --Jason

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here