Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the Chicago area!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the Chicago area!

I'm glad to be a part of this great site. I have been grilling with a Weber Genesis for several years. I love it, but I want to do some smoking, other than my cigars. I'm torn between a ceramic grill and a smoker grill. I like the fact that with a ceramic, you can cook low and slow as well as high heat, for steaks. Since I have the Genesis, I could just purchase a smoker. Costco has the ceramic Pit Boss, for about $600.00 and a Traeger smoker for the same price. HELP!!!!'

Welcome Pat Master

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I cook on a Big Green Egg. Ceramic grills are essentially set it and forget it and can hold their temp in cold weather. My first cook on my egg was Boston Butt over night when the temp dropped to 27. It came out perfect as I slept through the night.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; April 2, 2016, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Pat Master - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

After cooking on kettles, gassers, and stick burners for years, I got my first ceramic. I kicked everything else to the curb in short order and haven't looked back since. I've had a couple of BGEs, a couple of Primo Ovals, and now I have a couple of Komodo Kamados that are the epitome of kamado cookers. If you're serious about getting a good kamado, you owe it to yourself to take a long hard look at the Kamado Joe lime of products. If you want the finest cooker on the market, there's only one way to go: Komodo Kamado.

Comment

Welcome to the pit

Comment

Welcome Pat!!!

Good luck the search.

Comment

Pat Master, Welcome to The Pit! I think CeramicChef might be Biased toward his Komodo Kamado? I have seen Pics of his Cooks and I can't disparage his Cooks! All I can say I principally use a 22.5" Weber Kettle, with a S 'n S, and a DigiQ-2 Temp for Family Smokes!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Happy to have you here.
                The quality of those rigs they sell at Costco are questionable. Compared side by side to others on the market you would see the difference. Not to mention how they would cook side by side. However, they are cheaper, no doubt. I think you would be better served buying a kettle and SNS combo at that price point.

Comment

From one new member to another, welcome! I use a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5". Pretty new to the smoke scene here myself, as I just got my Weber this past Christmas. I have been happy with my product. It does take much more attention than some, but I enjoy the time spent on cooks, almost as much as I enjoy the eats...
                  Storlok
                  Mississippi smokin' fool...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Pat Master!

Comment

Welcome to the pit. I do not have any experience with ceramic but I love my Camp Chef DLX it turns out some great BBQ. I also cook with a Weber 22.5 kettle. I truly believe the most important factor is KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT inside out. I fell you will turn out greats cooks with Ceramic -Pellet -Charcoal or Wood. They all bring different things to the table.

Comment

I'm a newbie to smoking, but I'm having great success with my Weber 22.5" kettle with the Slow 'n Sear. I don't have room for another grill at this point and don't see the value in spending a lot of $$$ on a ceramic or pellet grill for just a small step up in cooking quality. When I purchased the SnS I followed the great counsel on this site and did some dry runs to learn the capabilities and quirks of my grill before I cooked any meat. I couldn't agree more that knowing how your equipment runs is the key to success.

Comment

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Very Good Call

Howdy neighbor. I'm in Brookfield!

Comment

• Rfuilrez
                          Rfuilrez commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Meathead Just a stones throw away. I'm in Gilberts (Next door to Elgin)

Welcome to The Pit Pat Master . I cook on the Pit Barrel Cooker and love it for its simplicity and outstanding results. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Pat Master! Thanks for joining up with us, good luck with the new smoker choice! As you can see we have lots of members passionate about every type of cooker. Never an easy choice....

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here