Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greengriller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greengriller

Just started today. Retired and learning to smoke n cook. I have my first pastrami on my new weber right now. Controlling temp is fun.
    Have read set up ect. First question if I'm allowed on this intro, where do you people place your temp prob, I have a ivation remote.

Welcome! I place any temp probe in the thickest part of the meat, away from any bone(s).

Comment

Also I wanted to say this is a great site. I have been enjoying it for a few days and decided to join. Hope I'm smart enough to learn something.

Comment

Sorry I ment on the grill for the cooker not the meat. Using off set and placed it just above the grate on the off side but it's behind the meat. temps above the fire are 300+ but behind the meat its anywhere from 210 to 235.

Comment

Green griller welcome to the pit. I like to keep the grill temp probe 2-3" away from the meat to avoid it being affected by the temp of the meat.

Comment

Green griller, Welcome to The Pit! I think if you keep your Temp Probe at just above the grate! I have a Maverick 733 Dual Probe Thermometer! I think I would set up a dual probe thermometer and check
            the temps at both ends of your offset! I have an offset also with several modifications but frankly I haven't used it
            since I got the Maverick! I have been using a Weber Kettle, a S 'n S, and a DigiQ-2 Temp Controller for family cooks!
            Eat Well an Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Green griller! Glad to have you here, and welcome aboard. I put my probe, when on the kettle w/ indirect heat, beside the meat if possible and as centrally-located as the meat placement allows. Try to position it so the airflow direction that the probe's getting wont be obstructed behind the meat, in the "heat shadow". And like has been mentioned, 2-3" away from meat out of the cold air bubble.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome Green griller

Comment

Welcome Green griller! We're glad you're here! This is the perfect place to learn to cook outdoors.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I didn't see it mentioned so ... be sure that your probe is suspended an inch or so above the grill. If you don't have a probe clamp, just use a ball of foil and stick the probe through it.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! What do you cook on?

Comment

Where to probe or not to probe, 'tis the question! Well, after you find out, welcome aboard, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have a weber performer. Mbmorgan. Thanks thats what Im doing.

Comment

Wow I didnt see all of the replies. Thanks to all of you.

Comment

Welcome! After a little smoking and a little reading on AR you will be answering questions and helping others. Most of us start with no experience. It is a fun place to learn.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here