Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Nation's capital (Ottawa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the Nation's capital (Ottawa)

My name is Andrew Gedris. I live in Ottawa, Canada. I've always enjoyed cooking over fire (even when I was doing it all wrong!). I used to use a propane bbq, but when it broke down, I started dabbling with charcoal - my preference currently. I'm the proud owner of 2 Weber Kettles - a 22 inch and a 26 inch. Amazingribs.com had become a beacon of light in my quest to turn out ever better bbq.

Welcome to the Pit! There are lots of Weber users with plenty of tips. I do some grilling on my Jumbo Joe and low and slow and the rest of my cooking on a Big Green Egg. You will have fun in the Pit.

Comment

• Gedris
      Gedris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, LA Pork Butt! Looking forward to getting to the various Weber tips.

Welcome Gedris! Have you looked at the Slow 'n Sear for your kettles?

Comment

Hi Fuzzydaddy - thanks for the welcome! I've seen it mentioned on Amazingribs, but don't have one of my own, yet. May drop hints as bday approaches. I wonder how it compares with the grillaq. They seem similar.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not familiar with the grillaq. I do have 2 weber kettles, each with a Slow 'n Sear and love it! Charcoal management/efficiency, temp control, low-and-slow, searing is easy. Their website is http://www.abcbarbecue.com if you don't already know.

Gedris, Welcome to The Pit! Another Weber User Here! We have 2 - 22 1/2" Kettles, one has the S 'n S accessory, a DigiQ-2 Temp Control and a SS Baffle Plate that directs the air flow under the coals in the S 'n S! If I remember to put the lid on the Weber Right the Temp is scary stable!
      For your info David Parrish the David Parrish is the President of Adrenaline BBQ who manufactures the S 'n S, Huskee Aaron(Moderator) also is in the mix as well! If you elect to try a S 'n S I think you will be pleased!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Greetings from Calgary.

Comment

Gedris - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy.

Comment

Welcome Gedris

Comment

Welcome Gedris! We're glad you're here. The grilllaQ was created by one of the original kickstarter backers for the Slow 'N Sear. Sadly, he decided he'd rather knock off the Slow 'N Sear and is now selling an inferior product (in my opinion). Here is why I feel she Slow 'N Sear is better

1) The SnS is made from 5 lbs of 16 gauge steel and is very heavy duty. The knockoff is light and flimsy in comparison. The higher thermal mass of the SnS helps maintain more stable temperatures.
                2) The SnS has a built in stainless steel charcoal basket. When searing, this basket focuses radiant heat upward for an unparalleled sear and acts as an insulator during low and slow cooking.
                3) The SnS has a charcoal basket. When smoking, the metal wall of the SnS and the metal wall of the kettle act as a double wall insulative barrier (think double pane window in a warm house on a cold winter night). 10+ hours is not uncommon on one load of charcoal.
                4) Customer service. Just check out our reviews on Amazon and you'll see we stand behind the product and support our customers very well.

Thanks for asking the question. May I ask where you found out about the grillaq?

Comment

• Gedris
                  Gedris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Pit Boss - thanks for the great info on the Slow 'n Sear!

Just wondering if it would work as well in the 26 inch kettle, or is it specific to the 22 inch?

I think I heard about the grilla q on the BBQ Pit Boys web site.

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The standard SnS works great in the 22" and the 26" kettle. That said, we're working on a larger SnS for the 26" and expect it to be out in the next few weeks.

Welcome to The Pit Gedris! Nice to have you here! Have you gotten a break in the weather yet? Sometimes I think I live "up north" then I'm reminded that my friends in the more-northern states and Canada have me beat by a long shot!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• Gedris
                  Gedris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll get on that homework!

It warmed up, but not enough to burn off the snow. And then dipped down to -10 C last night. I have a rather large ham wet curing in a cooler in the backyard shed (don't tell the raccoons!). I hope it won't get too cold!

Welcome to the Pit. We are glad your here.

Comment

Welcome, Andrew ...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here