Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another New Guy

Hey y'all. My name is Brian (aka, Boot Heel, or bootheel as it's spelled on my user name--a nod to my raising in the Boot Heel of Southeast Missouri. That means I grew up in the Memphis area, so that is most of my BBQ influence. I also lived in the Home of the Blues for 10 years before moving to the Austin, TX, area. Got into grilling about 15 years ago, and smoking only in the last year and a half. I'm an avid AR evangelist, and have been for about 5 years. I can't put into words how much I've learned, even after being mentored by an expert (whose family once owned a charcoal company) back in Memphis.

I cook on two Weber 22.5 kettles, and use a Smokenator for smoking meat (although I recently experimented with lining one of the grills entirely with fire bricks to simulate an egg--mixed results; great food, but odd fire control, even when taking lots of variables into account). I am also looking hard at a Pit Barrel Cooker right now, but am sort of curios what Weber has up their sleeve for April 6th...

My favorite things to grill are steak, pork steak, and beef tenderloin. My favorite smoker treats are butt and ribs, though I am getting the hang of brisket, and love chicken as well.

Also just started a (totally for fun) competition cooking team, Mem-Tex BBQ, which will be competing for our first time in a local cook-off in a couple of weeks.

Glad to be here, and excited to learn more!

Brian
    Last edited by Bootheel; March 17, 2016, 02:43 PM. Reason: Wanted to mention (in case anybody is around the area) a cooking team I just started with some guys at my church.

Welcome Bootheel! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome man!!! I'm in east Texas and cooked 4 briskets on the Pit Barrel yesterday, 3 cooking right now, and 2 pork butts to cook tonight. It definitely turns out some goooood stuff.

Comment

Welcome Bootheel

Comment

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, gentlemen! Jerod, quick question(s): 1.) Does the PBC really crank stuff out as fast as I have read (like a packer in 5-6 hours?!)? 2.) What about volume? In other words, 2 briskets at a time? 2 butts at a time? 3.) I am assuming that--like their video shows--you have to wrap a butt at 160 and finish it on the grate. Otherwise, it would all fall apart and into the coals approaching 200 degrees, right? 4.) Any discernible drawbacks, other than limited space when compared to something like a Meadowbrook or even a Weber Bullet smoker (22.5 inch)? Sorry for all the questions, but you are the first person I've talked to who actually has one of these things! Thanks much!

Comment

Hey huskee, Jerod or Pit boss , How does one go about changing his or her user name if they want to?

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I would PM one of the guys you mentioned above. They will get with you shortly, and help you with that. bottk

Bootheel, Welcome to The Pit! I too cook predominately on Weber 22.5" Grills! One with a S 'n S by Adrenaline BBQ and a DigiQ-2 Temp Control! and a SS baffle plate! Temp control is phenomenal! Check it out, for your info the Pit Boss is the President of Adrenaline BBQ! Just Smoke no BS!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Brian!

Comment

Originally posted by Bootheel View Post
                Thanks so much for the warm welcome, gentlemen! Jerod, quick question(s): 1.) Does the PBC really crank stuff out as fast as I have read (like a packer in 5-6 hours?!)? 2.) What about volume? In other words, 2 briskets at a time? 2 butts at a time? 3.) I am assuming that--like their video shows--you have to wrap a butt at 160 and finish it on the grate. Otherwise, it would all fall apart and into the coals approaching 200 degrees, right? 4.) Any discernible drawbacks, other than limited space when compared to something like a Meadowbrook or even a Weber Bullet smoker (22.5 inch)? Sorry for all the questions, but you are the first person I've talked to who actually has one of these things! Thanks much!
                I have never had a brisket done that quick on the Pit Barrel. However, you will make some incredible briskets on that sucker. I usually cook them in about 8 hrs or so. I also don't wrap until about 180F. I suppose, if you wrapped at 160F you might be able to to get it done in 6 hours. Not sure though. You can easily do two briskets and a two pork shoulders at the same time. As for the hooks pulling out; I have taken them all the way to 200F with out wrapping and using the grate. However, you do have to be careful. I have dropped one on the fire while taking it off at about 195F. But I was doing it with out my gloves on. (Not a great idea) If your doing a few briskets and pork butts you'll have to finish them in the oven. No way you'll get S for comparing it to the WSM? Well, I went with the PBC over the WSM when deciding between the two.
                Hope this helps. Welcome to the Pit!! We are glad your here.

Comment

Bootheel - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy.

Comment

Welcome aboard Bootheel.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Bootheel! Great to have you here. We look forward to pictures from your upcoming cook-off! (And the trophy!) It's not too late to get a Slow 'N Sear for one of your kettles to compare the differences between that & the Smokenator.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome! You will have fun in the Pit!

Comment

Hello, Huskee! I have been checking out the homework assignment post, and am working through all of it (feel like I am back in school)! And I have been thinking about getting an S&S as well...would love to see a head-to-head competition. I wonder if just using a larger water pan on top of the grates right over the Smokenator would offset the S&S advantage of having an integrated water pan. Also, I have found that by tenting my Smokenator in the middle of my kettle (on the bottom grate) and putting the coals to one side, and food to the other, I end up with a pretty awesome sear zone as well. I love all these gadgets! What a difference they make!

And here is a picture of something I tried last weekend...lined a grill with fire bricks to sort of imitate a ceramic grill. Ribs were great, but working the fire was weird, and the coals didn't last nearly as long as I thought they would. Anyway, something to mess around with for a low price....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here