Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not worthy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not worthy!

Howdy all! I just saw johnec00's "Family Portrait" and immediately thought "I'm so not worthy", but what the hay, we all have to cook as best we can with equipment we have. (It's not the size that matters, right? At least that's what my husband says...) Speaking of the hubby, he's the one responsible for the name, Moody Qs. We both love the Moody Blues, and one night out on the deck (yes, there was alcohol involved), we were kicking around names for our bbq restaurant (no, we don't have one, but remember the alcohol??), and low and behold a Moody Blues song came on. 'Nough said.

Although I joined a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to get a few of cooks on my new WSM 22 under my belt before posting anything. But first let me thank everyone who has worked so hard on this site, from creating to hosting to posting, you all have made bbq so much more accessible to backyard bbq wannabes like myself (no offense to the real cooks). So thanks for that.

My first cook was a 2 lb brisket. No, that's not a typo! I tried explaining about seasoning the WSM to the hubby, but all he could think was "what a waste of a fire". So I compromised. I figured using such a small brisket (have y'all stopped laughing yet?!) wouldn't be that big of a loss if I couldn't get the smoker set up correctly. Thanks to the article on how to set up a WSM http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ain_setup.html I was actually able produce a decent product. While the brisket was a bit tight (temps fluctuated like crazy, but being close to the coast, it's always breezy), the flavor was "go home and punch your mamma in the mouth) good! I used BBB and mesquite chunks, with my own injection/marinade and rub.

I won't bore you with the other cooks other than to say that I now understand Meathead's directions once the meat is on to "sit back and have a beer". My first couple of cooks I was constantly running out the door "oh my baby!" every time the temp changed. Now, after listening to our sinsei and heeding his (and others on this site) advice, I have time to enjoy that beer while impatiently waiting for that yummy smoked goodness to hit my plate (if it even makes it that far...).

Welcome MoodyQs

Comment

• MoodyQs
      MoodyQs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! How long have you had your Weber Genesis? We've had ours about 2 years now and we still love it. Best steaks ever!

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      MoodyQs I also had my for about two years but I don't cook steaks on it anymore. I now used the Weber kettle and the Slow n Sear it produces better flavor and a better sear.

Welcome to the Pit MoodyQs

Comment

• MoodyQs
      MoodyQs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! So, a bit off topic here - why is it called Emirates stadium?

• Gooner-que
      Gooner-que commented
      Editing a comment
      Emirates Air Lines paid for the naming rights to the stadium, they also paid to be the kit sponsor so "Fly Emirates" is on the front of the shirt. COYG!!!

Welcome to The Pit MoodyQs! What a cool intro, glad to have you here! Doing a slow smoke right now myself, although no beer. I'm in the middle of a bad cold and have a sick kid at home. Less than ideal, but it's better than not smoking something, right?

I'm sure you've already seen this, but here's your official welcome package: Please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      MoodyQs Some options- Lake of the Pines; 5 Lakes; Lake 13; Surrey Lake; Bertha Lake; Lake George. Lol, there are a ton of lakes & lake communities here. Small world though.

• MoodyQs
      MoodyQs commented
      Editing a comment
      You already nailed it...Lake of the Pines!! That's it! Holy cow, it IS a small world.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      MoodyQs I spent many years when I was first out of high school working on new homes there (I used to do insulation & drywall for the co. that built many of those homes). The last 10 years or so MANY folks have left the area due to the economy.

Welcome to the party!

Comment

• MoodyQs
      MoodyQs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I saw in another thread that you also lived in Alaska. I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years. Loved it! Also, I joined the Navy to be an Air Traffic Controller, but they said the rate was full, so I ended up launching missiles instead. Go figure!

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I lived in Anchorage for a decade or so back in the 80s/90s. Got up to Fairbanks a few days each summer for the youth soccer state tournament as a coach. My FAA ATC days were in the 70s/80s before going back to under/grad school as a geophysicist.

MoodyQs - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

• MoodyQs
      MoodyQs commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your pic. BTW - my stepdad is living in OKC now. He grew up in Norman, which caused all sorts of issues for us as Texans. But I guess love conquers all (at least until the game is on...)!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• MoodyQs
      MoodyQs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! (Please don't shoot me for asking, but have you ever watched Cajun Justice? We love it.)

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      No, not everyone from Louisiana is Cajun. They are in pockets in southern Louisiana having bee evicted from Novia Scotia by the British in the 1600s

Welcome aboard MoodyQs.

Comment

Thanks! I used to live in Sparta, TN. Ever been there?

Comment

Welcome aboard, MoodyQs! Like your handle!

Comment

Welcome MoodyQs! We're glad you're here. Some of my best friends in the USAF were in Space and Missle command so I imagine we'll get along just fine despite that whole Navy part of your story

Comment

Welcome MoodyQs. That was a great intro. I like your communication style.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

On Friday I am smoking a pair of 4 pound chuck roasts in my WSM. Can't wait!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy.

Comment

MoodyQs, Welcome to The Pit! You kicked over the Trash Can I call Life with your Post and intro! Eat well and Prosper!
                From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here