Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Porkopolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Porkopolis

Hello fellow Q-lovers!

Been out to the site many times, but it was the depth of info in the Texas Crutch article that convinced me to finally join. I love learning the science behind the art of BBQ. I've been using the crutch on my butts for several years, but without the finishing touch on the bark. Just used this technique yesterday with great results....thanks for that!

I've been smoking for about 25 years (mostly on WSM; more BGE lately), but generally don't venture out of the pork realm. Certainly not for lack of interest, mostly lack of time. It was only a month ago that I smoked my first salmon filet (dry-brined) on my BGE that was easy and delicious. I love cooking for big crowds of friends and family where kids and adults alike come back for 2nds and 3rds.

The last couple of years I've attended the Memphis in May BBQ competition and realized just how serious the pro circuit is. (I have no desire to compete). I learned quite a bit my first time (2014), especially how friendly BBQ folks are and how everyone loves to trade stories and techniques. Probably not in the cards to make it back this year, though. Really going to miss Gary's (Ubon's) smoked prime rib sandwiches....a real treat from one of the nicest BBQ families I've met.

Looking forward to the warmer months and trying another brisket....been a long time for that. (Is it just me or can you now get a halfway decent steak for the price of a brisket? Geez....) Also thinking of upgrading my thermometer and found the equipment reviews out here extremely informative and helpful. I even went as far as sending an email to ThermoWorks tonight asking if they had a ThermaQ with a remote monitor in the works....can't hurt to ask

Welcome to The Pit EubieQ! Glad to have you here, thanks for your support. Enjoyed reading your intro. I always email companies when I have a question like that since it beats endlessly wondering. Sometimes you get a response, sometimes they ignore...although ThermoWorks is usually really good about responding to questions. Let us know what they say!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! If you enjoyed Memphis in May, you should really enjoy the Eggtoberfest in October- over 200 BGEs cooking and almost everyone there a BGE devotee.

Comment

• EubieQ
        EubieQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks very interesting, thanks! I'm fairly new to the ceramic world (~2yrs). Love the versatility, plus the fact that I can cook (mostly) year round on it.

Welcome EubieQ

Comment

Welcome EubieQ

Thermoworks is slowly getting there. Have you seen the BlueTherm Duo?

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

That's a Bluetooth device for IOS or Android. Device is expensive but the Apps are free. Uses their standard K probes.

They do have both Ethernet and Wireless recorders (I use these with some of my IT clients), but haven't seen any probes yet that will get to the temperatures and are designed for this unit. Hopefully, they'll say something to you about what they plan for the future.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the links. The Duo is enticing, for sure; missed that one in my search yesterday. Seems logical to move in that direction as opposed to a dedicated monitor (e.g. Maverick). I read a bunch of the Maverick ET-735 (Bluetooth) reviews, but seems like many have had problems with connectivity. I do like the comfort of having the dedicated monitor sitting on my kitchen windowsill during 'other food' prep though (or on the sofa table next to my beer...)

Comment

EubieQ, Welcome to The Pit! Boys & Girls from all over will give you a hand here!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

Welcome EubieQ!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here