Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to AmazingRibs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to AmazingRibs

I have been doing some research and came across the site. I was impressed by the helpful comments on some of the threads I read so I've joined up. I have spent the last 7 years learning the BGE and have turned out some very acceptable food. I'm originally from OHIO and when I grew up there they really did not know the difference between BBQ and Grilling. 20 years in San Diego expanded my horizons, but I don't think I understood the artistic nature of the cook until I moved to Austin in 2006. This site seems to be the place to learn a thing or two on the subject. I need to expand my scope and I want to become proficient with an offset. I'm budget constrained to keep it under a grand and I'd like to hear any recommendations on a good, not-so-cheap, pit available in the Austin TX area. I have noticed that shipping around a few hundred pounds of pit can push up the delivery charges. At this time the two main contenders on my radar are Lyfe Tyme and All-Seasons Feeder models. Love to hear you comments.

Welcome to the site. I do not have any experience with the cookers you are looking at but sit back hold tight and enjoy the ride, because I promise you help is on the way.

Comment

Welcome and thanks for the support!!

I would check Craigslist or the TexasBBQ forum.

Click here and scroll down to the LSG 20"x36" Only $500 over your budget and would last forever. Tuning plates would be $165 more. I think taxes are already included in the price.

Comment

Welcome JoeTax

Comment

Welcome to the Pit JoeTax ...

I don't know much about the type of cooker you're searching for so I don't have anything to contribute there.

I am a big fan of the BGE though. You might know a few BGE tricks I don't. I might know a few you don't. The more Ceramic guys we have on AR the better.👍
          I'm sure there's lots of members that will overwhelm you with expert advice on what your looking for. That's the hidden value of the private side, the Pit, all of the FREE information.👌

Comment

JoeTax, Welcome to The Pit! I am in the Same Boat as those Who Posted before me, I am not familiar with the smokers you are looking at?
            I use mostly Weber Kettles but I do have a modified COS as well!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit JoeTax! Glad to have you here. If you want to get into a real hardcore stickburning offset, on the less expensive side of them is the Lang Patio model. Coming in about $300 over your budget unfortunately, it is surely a fine machine if you could swing it. In addition to the ones the others have mentioned is The Good One they offer wood burning grills/smokers with a unique design. Stickburning is some fun stuff if you like building and maintaining a bonfire. The flavor can't be beat.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit! I can't help you with the choice of Pit. I am a BGE guy, so I am glad you are hear to share your wisdom.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit JT. Glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit

Comment

Thanks for the welcome...Been scanning Craigs list without success on getting a pit .....Chalk it up to a bit of paralysis and lack of being able to define what I want.....I'm zeroing in on something that can do two briskets at the same time. Anything bigger would be overkill for me and I'm assuming less efficient regarding heat and fuel. On that topic.......... is there an apparent difference between a pit built with 1/4 inch steel vs 3/16. The 3/16 examples seem hefty to me if it is all welded construction. I can see how 11 and 14 gage construction might make for some temp holding issues on a cool wind day. Austin can get a bit cold and windy. This has not been much of an issue with the BGE, but my guess is that steel changes the equation. I'm building a shelter for the pit to keep it out of the blow but it will be mostly open to the weather. I'm thinking that this question might be better posted in a different section of AmazingRibs feel free to direct me if that is so.

Comment

The LSG 20 36 looks like a good choice....With the tuning plates it is a bit too rich for my budget. Need to get that special deal to get me in on the cheap.

Comment

JoeTax - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

I'm a Kamado cooker myself. Started out using a kettle, added a gasser and a stick burner. Loved 'em all. Then came my intro 20+ years ago to the world of ceramics via a BGE. Within a month I had kicked my gasser, stick burner, and kettle to the curb. I've owned BGEs, Primos, and now have a couple of Komodo Kamados.

I'm curious ... what do you think a stick burner will do for you that you can't get done with your BGE? An offset stick burner will complicate your life in ways I'm not sure you appreciate.

I'm just asking ...

Here's to great cooks and even better memories with family and friends!

Comment

Welcome JoeTax.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here