Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TXpaulie in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TXpaulie in the house

Howdy folks! I found this site a few months ago and have referred to it several times. The content is awesome and extremely helpful. I battled the stall last night so today I decided to pony up and join to support this awesome community.

I'm in Universal City, Texas, just north of San Antonio. I have a Char-Griller Duo (half gas and half charcoal) and received a MasterBuilt 40" electric smoker from my mother for my birthday back in May. The electric smoker is great because it has a digital thermometer and timer so you can really control things while still being busy with kids like I am.

I married into a family with a long tradition of hunting, farming and barbecuing. My in-laws are masters at traditional Texas smoking and barbecuing. I've got some catching up to do, that's for sure. I've got my ribs down good, but brisket has been a challenge. Oh that dreaded stall. So right now my main goal is to figure out a good timeline/agenda for cooking flats (HOFs) since they are perfect for feeding my family of four. I also need to start cooking up some of my deer left over from last season, or else I won't have room in the freezer for fresh meat.

This weekend HEB had a special on packers, $1.97 a pound (limit one), so I went back to pick up an extra. ;-) I cut each one in half, so now I have two flats and two thick briskets to work on. Cooked a flat last night, the stall got me and I didn't plan properly. Live and learn, right?

I'm looking forward to reading the great advice here!

Welcome from Jax Beach, Fla. I got burned on the stall last night on a pork butt as well. Every cook is an adventure and usually a lesson in what not do in the future for me

Comment

Did you wrap it?

Comment

• SurfsUp
        SurfsUp commented
        Editing a comment
        For me I did not wrap the butt. I was attempting to go all the way this time without wrapping but my wife and daughter ran out of patience... around 8:30 PM. Can't say I blame them

the wife and kids have a way of doing that don't they

Comment

by the way TXpaulie welcome from sunny CA.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit TXPaulie! I lived in Universal City for a few months while I waited for my house to get built on the NW side of San Antonio. That was 13 years ago though and I'm guessing things have changed. Anyhoo, we're excited to have you here. When you have a moment, check out my Welcome letter and tips topics, which will help you complete your signature (Tip#1). They're here andhere.

After that we'd like to know more about you. Head over to the General Discussion channel and dive into the mix... Post your latest cook in the Recipes and Techniques channel(with pics!).... Tell us about your latest restaurant BBQ experience.... make yourself at home!

Comment

Welcome TXPaulie! That's a great deal you scored on briskets. You TX folks have it good in that regard. #jealous

Comment

Hey Paulie! Welcome

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here