Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member with $24 question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SnS arrived last night (strange - first FedEx em
    ailed me to say it was undeliverable; then to say it was delivered to the USPS; then at about 7:00 p.m. a contract FedEx driver dropped it at my door) and I am very pleased, and very impressed.

The quality is outstanding! Beautiful welds, excellent fit and finish. Even the shipping carton is very professionally done! Kudos to the Adrenaline Barbeque Boys!!

Also yesterday, Amazon delivered a Maverick 732, so I originally intended to do a test burn in the 22" Weber. But hey - why waste all that charcoal? Instead, I brought home an inch and a half Ribeye (my DWs favorite) and fired up the grille.

I had no idea how much charcoal to use, or what kind of temperature I'd have, but, figured that the Maverick would keep me out of trouble. And so it did! I had some left over cold coals from a previous cook*, tossed in a couple handfuls of new coals, and topped that with about 20 glowing hot briquettes from the charcoal chimney.

Sprinkled some Kosher salt and ground pepper on each side (hey - I just brought it home -- no time to dry brine it for 4 hrs -- and Momma was hungry!) and put it on the grill when the temp showed 300+. With the top vents wide open and the bottoms open just a crack, the temperature settled in the 340s, and before you know it the Maverick showed internal temperature of 135°F. MH's chart shows 135 as medium (how the Mrs. likes it) so at that point I tong'ed it over to the Sear side, for about 2 minutes on each side. The Ribeye rested while I finished sauteing the onions, and then we sat down to one of the best steaks I have ever served! I thought it might be too done for my liking at 135, but when I cut it in half (we shared it) it looked more like the Medium Rare that I prefer. So I can see this will take a little more practice.

But WOW! what a great evening! The SnS is everything you said it would be, and more! I think my life has changed! Ha Ha!

Tomorrow's project will be a whole chicken!

The other cool thing about this whole experience was the remote receiver on the Maverick. I just set it on the counter while I prepared the potato and vegetables, and never once ran out to check up on the grille!

Thanks to the PitBoss and Huskee and everyone else here who has provided so much information, experience, and expertise! Can't wait to soak up some more of your knowledge!

*Oh, and here is the other $24 question: Used Coals. When I am done cooking, I close up the Weber, the fire goes out, and I use those coals the next time. Anyone else do that? Any reason not to? Might make it a little more difficult to figure out how many coals to start with, but it didn't seem to hurt anything tonight.

What's your collective advice on Used Coals?

Last edited by GilaMonster; February 20, 2016, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I save what I can. Shut all the vents and whatever is left gets invited to the next party.

I bought a Smokenator just before I joined last summer. I was happy about using it. Did some things I wasn't able to do before. But, it was a struggle as has been mentioned. Meanwhile, I'm reading all the rave reviews & successes of the Sn&S. Now this musing of Sn&S. I will shortly, in a month or two put aside enough to put one on order. Can't wait.

Ps. I use used coals all the time. You have to do little more work about watching the temp & timing. I guess I might be a little old school & not wanting to waste something that's not used up. Frugal comes to mind also.
    Last edited by FireMan; February 22, 2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
      I bought a Smokenator just before I joined last summer. I was happy about using it. Did some things I wasn't able to do before. But, it was a struggle as has been mentioned. Meanwhile, I'm reading all the rave reviews & successes of the Sn&S. Now this musing of Sn&S. I will shortly, in a month or two put aside enough to put one on order. Can't wait.

Ps. I use used coals all the time. You have to do little more work about watching the temp & timing. I guess I might be a little old school & not wanting to waste something that's not used up. Frugal comes to mind also.

I think you won't be disappointed at all, with the SnS. If my first two results are any indication, it does just what it says it will do, and very easily! Even with used coals! Did a chicken last night, as my second cook with it, and it was wonderful!

Get one ordered!!

Comment

Ok can I chime in here? i was just looking at the SNS after seeing it mentioned but it king of looks like a Weber charcoal basket on the Amazon page stuffed with a chimney of red hot coals. Is there something more to it than just what the Amazon pic shows that gives you a slow cook?

Steve B

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here