Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Central Wisconsin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Central Wisconsin!

Good evening,

My name is Jeremy and I live in the small town of Colby, WI (also the home of Colby Cheese). I have been a member for over a year, and finally got my stuff together to introduce myself.

I am a newcomer to the smoker/cooker scene, but have been mastering my backyard gas grill for the last 15 years.

I was investigating new things to cook on the grill when I came across Amazing Ribs. I immediately knew I found my new (and still to this day) favorite website. Shortly after one of the owners of the machine shop I work for threw an old fuel oil barrel in the dumpster, and the idea for "The Beast" was born. Over the next couple of months I created my reverse flow offset smoker/cooker complete with a steering axle and dedicated trailer. Mind you at this point I have never attempted smoking anything before.

In December of 2014 I took my creation on our maiden voyage. I decided to start with something easy and made an Ultimate Smoked Turkey for Christmas dinner. As everyone knows the meal is ready when the meat says so and this was no different. The turkey ended up about a half an hour late, and I was being reminded what felt like every minute! Fortunately everything was forgotten as soon as the meat hit the table. It was an instant hit. My first recipe from Amazing Ribs was a success and my grill creation proved it wasn't a failure.

Since then I have cooked ribs, brisket, prime rib, and almost everything else on the grill. Using different tips and tricks I have read on Amazing Ribs and some of my own design ideas I am able to run the cooker year round. It has been fired up from 14 degrees below zero to 90 degrees above. I added a propane tube burner to help with preheating the metal while the charcoal is starting, but I will only cook with a mix of charcoal and wood.

I have grown my cooking tools to include a Weber 22" premium, a 44" Smoke Hollow smoker to handle the smaller projects, a Maverick et733, a Thermopop, and various other bought and hand made trinkets to help with all the fun.

I would like to take a second to thank you for putting all the effort you do into Amazing ribs. It is a great resource that I like to share whenever I have a chance.

Jeremy Gosse

Welcome to the Pit, Jeremy!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit and the fun. Let us know if you get around to smoking some Colby cheese.

Comment

Welcome jpgosse

Comment

jpgosse, Welcome to The Pit! As you have observed you are Involved with the Culinary University of BBQ! Truly a "Place" of higher Learning! The Prof's are all friendly and helpful, and the Mgm't (Meathead) keeps the Tuition Resonable!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Woo another WI person!

Comment

Welcome Jeremy, I would like to see some pictures of the "beast" build. Post a few for us!

Comment

Hi Jeremy. Welcome to The Pit. Sounds like you've gotten up to speed pretty quick and now have some great equipment. Have fun learning how to use it all!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_16970.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	140414
                    Here's a couple of pics from the build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131017_204946_683[1].jpg
Views:	98
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	140421 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131102_110207_938[1].jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	140422 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150704_170015264[1].jpg
Views:	95
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	140417
                    Last edited by jpgosse; February 9, 2016, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
                      Bob's BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cool Rig! Nice work!

Welcome aboard jpgosse.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit jpgosse! Great having you here, nice build. How do you have the plate(s) in place in that beast to get the heat to divide evenly between both stacks?

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

The first plate by the fire box is stationary, the other three can be slid around for tuning. Honestly, the first stack usually is removed for a cook as you can see in the photo. I will put it in when I preheat with the tube burner and if I need to vent some heat quickly. Otherwise I will run with one stack and am able to hold +/- 5 degrees across the cooking grates. The stacks are also able to be turned so I can create a little extra draw through the firebox, as I don't have any fans or blowers to help. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140719_064447_346[1].jpg
Views:	105
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	140812

Comment

have you tried to put the stack on the other side to draw the smoke across all the food or do you find it doesn't make a difference?

Comment

If you look at the pictures from earlier, the tuning plates will make that happen already. With the left stack out, the smoke will travel from the firebox all the way to the opposite end of the grill, then comes up to the grate level, across the cooking area, and then exits. The stack can also be lowered to the grates or raised all the way up depending on if I want the smoke to stay in longer. I should add that when the tuning plates are all pushed tight, there is about a 6-8" gap on the opposite end from the firebox to facilitate the reverse flow.
                            Last edited by jpgosse; February 11, 2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here