Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello From Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From Minnesota

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150524_172013.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	135709 Hello All, Thanks for having me.

My name is Ben Fort. I live in the southeastern area of Minnesota near Rochester.

My dad and I actually started smoking sausage, hot dogs, and bologna when I was very young. I have over the years enjoyed learning what he has learned. Now as I am getting older we run ideas back and forth as well as offer different ideas; new ideas on tried and true recipes usually fall a def ears though ;-). All of the smoking my Dad and I have done thus far has been cold smoking and then hot bathing to bring the core temps up. This is true for all the meat we did/ do. For years we used (he still uses) his home made 4'X3'X8' concrete smoke house. It was set up with the the stove on the out side and piped in the smoke. This design worked well, but it would not hold heat at all. Even in the summer I could not get the house over 190 for any length of time. This bothered me because I wanted to try hot smoking; as well as try different types of meats and recipes.
    About a year ago I started a new smoke house of my own design. I ended up using a 300 Gal Sunset Stainless Steel Bulk tank as the main house. With the design I made I gained the ability of cold and hot smoking. Learning to cold smoke in the house I built is tricky since it holds heat so well. Since I have built the new house I have tried a couple of things. First out of ​the new smoke house was a pork butt. It turned out OK, but nothing to wright home about.
    A friend of mine that had been offering up advice about hot smoking turned me onto this web site. After A LOT of reading I fired it up again. I put in another butt with 3 racks of ribs. I wasn't brave enough to try and make a rub, but the one I did go with... Well, my wife kids and I are absolutely in love with ribs. Since then we have been using the Memphis Dust- Last supper rub on this web site. Cant say enough good things about this site.
    Here are a couple of pics of the smoke house I built...before its first run. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150519_195326.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	135707Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_172914.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	135712Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_172927.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	135711Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_181152.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	135710
    Attached Files

Welcome to The Pit! Nice smoker you made, and meat! Memphis Dust is my #1 rub for pork butts and ribs. Glad you're here.

Comment

Ben, I think what you were trying to say at first was that There Was The Right Way, The Wrong Way, and Dad's Way! Sonny was just like that! Welcome To The Pit! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Hi Ben, welcome to The Pit. Looks like you have some great experience with meats. I look forward to your future posts.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from a fellow Minnesotan. I'm just 100 miles west of you-Blue Earth. You will grow to love this sight with lots of GREAT information on all types of cooking and smoking.

Comment

Great Smoker! Thanks for the pictures!!

Comment

Welcome Ben

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ben! Glad to have you here. Nice job on your smoker. Just FYI, we don't discuss cold smoking meat here, Meathead strongly cautions against it due to the risky nature of it, and he didn't come to that decision lightly. Sounds like you have plenty of experience with it and that's great. We're happy to discuss cold smoking cheese, nuts, salt, etc though!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! It looks like you caught on.

Comment

Welcome and thanks for the support Ben!!

Succulent looking dish....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here