Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello From Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From Ohio

New to the pitmaster but have been a huge fan of the site for a couple of years. Thank you for all that you have taught me Amazingribs!

I'm new to smoking on charcoal and would love any advice on WSM 18.5. I'm looking at building a PID for the unit in the future if anyone has advise on that let me know.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard OSR!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit OSUrules! Glad to have you here. There are many WSM users here to help. Building a PID unit for it? That's quite a cool project- you must have some nice electrical engineering skills. Is this going to be better than the controllers currently available, or just something you enjoy doing so you want to do it yourself instead of buy one?

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome OSUrules! We're glad you're here, even if you don't have good taste in college football

Comment

Well It's hard not to be an OSU fan from ohio.

I have some electrical skills but far from someone that can do it 100% on my own. I'm plan on building PID only because I can get most of the parts from my father that has a lot of left over parts from his heating and cooling days. The Auber units are great but spending 200-400 bucks on something that I can do for 100 is hard for me. My plan is do to a pid controller with fan with ramp up speed, damper control, off for correct temperature. It's more than I need but I keep adding just because of the controller I have.

I just want to be able to set up the unit before I go to bed and keep a temperature close so I don't have to loose sleep. :-)

Comment

OSUrules the Party Q is an excellent basic controller and costs $150. Use that as the upper limit of what you want to spend

Comment

I'll look into it. Thank you for the info!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit OSUrules!

Comment

Welcome OSUrules

Comment

welcome OSUrules ! always happy to share any insight on WSM. I too have an 18.5. I also recommend buying the better (thicker) door from Cajun Bandit or you could take a stab at making one yourself if you're into that kind of stuff. The temp control module makes a world of difference! I bought the stoker unit and it works excellent, but it is the same price as the WSM!

Have you had any specific issues with the WSM so far? If youre having trouble with temp control, take a look at the WSM charcoal set up article that is posted on the AR website. for long haul cooks i use the "soo's donut" and for shorter cooks i use the "fuse" method he describes. the fuse method always worked well when my temps heated up too much, and it also made it easy to salvage any unused charcoal at the end of the "fuse"

Also, I don't put water in the water pan, i just leave it empty and cover in foil. Some have said that they put sand in there to help regulate temperatures better, others use the water pan. like you will find, there are a million answers to every question! this site is great to get more info not only on the science but the technique that everyone else uses.

Cheers!

Paul

Comment

Ahhh another Buckeye! OSUrules I took a beating around here leading to the NC game last year lol. Then it got quiet ;-) GO BUCKS!
                        I don't have a 18.5", I have the 22.5" and love it. You would do well to review Harry Soo's video from a little over a year ago.

Comment

smokin, My biggest issue is temp on log cooks for brisket or pork. I seem to have to adjust 20-30 times a cook and load up to 2 bags of kb. The last round I started out for pulled pork I loaded up full donut with full load of started coals. by 6 hours in I had to load more, 9 hours in load more, 12 hours load, 14 hours loaded and when it was done I had loaded in 2 bags. I don't know if my ash build up is causing issues as it seems to be holding with the coals and not dropping down. My full donut was almost gone in first 6 hours. The temp outside was 40 with wind. I had the vents at 1/3 and at the end full open to keep it even close to 225.

3dj, GO BUCKS.

Comment

• JeffJ
                            JeffJ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you go to the video seminars channel one of the earliest seminars was with Harry Soo who, it just so happens, wins BBQ contests with.....an 18.5 WSM. If you have the 18.5 (or any size WSM - I have the 14.5 and LOVE it) that video is a must watch.

I have lived in Michigan my whole life and my blood runs maize and blue. Nevertheless, congrats to your team on another great season of football. I don't get what happened when you hosted MSU but your team was clearly the best in the Big-10 this year and as much as I tend to root against the Buckeyes I found myself rooting for your team against Alabama last year. Your beat-down of the Wolverines this year was one of the more impressive wins OSU has had in this rivalry. That wasn't a RichRod/Hoke team you guys demolished - Michigan had a good football team this year and to go into the Big House and win like that - impressive.

• OSUrules
                            OSUrules commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm just happy that That team up north will give us a game again soon. :-)

Welcome to The Pit OSUrules . We're glad you're here! Good luck with the PID project.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here