Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New old guy from South Texas by way of South Louisiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New old guy from South Texas by way of South Louisiana

Hello all,
    I joined up about a week ago while I was researching UDS. I've had a Large BGE for quite some time now(Almost 5 years) and I have done many cooks. Over the thanksgiving holiday I was smoking a turkey on a old Brinkman water smoker at my mother's house, my BGE was over 300 miles away in Texas. I've known and used Amazing Ribs website for a while. Using their turkey and gravy recipe last year while I was home for Thanksgiving. At any rate I was researching different ways to smoke a turkey and ran across UDS. More research lead to Pitbarrel Cooker website and a link back to Amazing Ribs for their review. I began to research UDS and making one on my own. It would not cost as much as a PBC, but the time it would take to obtain the materials, then actually getting around to making it not to mention all the research into making it, I had a moment of weakness yesterday and just pulled the trigger on the PDS. I'll certainly have my PDS quicker that I could have made one. And since it's Christmas time, Merry Christmas to me.

One of the attractions of the PDS was the cooking capacity of the unit. I have an adjustable grill grate for my BGE, even with that I don't have that much capacity. Also the advertised set it and forget it was a bonus. Since the purchase I've learned that the PDS may not be so set and forget as advertised. I love my BGE, I just want more capacity on the occasions that I need it.

I like to cook, especially outdoors and for a group of people. After a few years of cooking outside each time I return to my mother's house, my sister walked out and had an epithemy of sorts. She said she figured out why I cook each time. I get to go outside, away from all the noise inside, cook and drink my beer and no one is the wiser. It's a peaceful time when it's just me and the grill/pit. Company is welcome, things are discussed, food is cooked and good cheer is enjoyed by all along with their adult libation of choice, be it beer, wine or some other spirit, or just water. Outdoor cooking is just good times in the making. This Thanksgivings at my mother's was just the immediate family. Others couldn't make it. I was sorta bummed at the limited audience for my turkey. Most the times I return home I grill or BBQ something outside. It's become somewhat of an event as all my Cajun cousins from "Down the bayou" and many of my mother's friends come out to enjoy the feast. It's sorta funny, because I'm not making anything special for them. Just burgers, sausage and may be some veggies on the grill. But I do make jalapeno peppers stuffed with boudin wrapped in bacon. They all flip a wig on it. And I am the Pit Master to them. Because they don't really know good BBQ. I'd blow their minds with proper equipment. All I have there is an Ole Smokey and lately the Brinkman water Smoker. My BGE is just not portable. Now with the PBC, I'll be able to pack that up and smoke some different things for them.

Some of the things I've done on my BGE so far are, ribs, brisket (the Travis Method), pulled pork, pork loin, meatloaf(this is great on the Egg), various bacon wrapped boudin stuffed items. Last night I smoked some ribs and a bacon wrapped boudin stuffed pork loin. My avatar is from last night's cook. I put the daisy wheel in the Egg before I shut down the vents to burn off any grease that may be on the daisy wheel in order to prevent it from being stuck in the closed position the next time I need to use it. The pit was left open for a bit and the coals flamed up. As I was shutting the lid I noticed that the daisy wheel looked like a smiling face.

This site is a gold mine and a plethora of information on all forms of outdoor cooking. I look forward to learning many things here in the future.

John
    Last edited by Cajunrph; December 13, 2015, 04:16 PM.

Welcome Cajunrph. We're glad you're here. I cook outdoors for the same reason you do.

Comment

Cajunrph - welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction.

Lots of great information here. Enjoy!

Comment

Cajunrph, I look forward to Pics of Your Cajun Cooks! I used to travel some in your part of the world! I developed an affinity for some your foods! It is a long way from Fargo ND to SLA for lunch! Eat Well and Prosper! 👍👍🐷👍👍. Dan

Comment

Welcome Cajunrph

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit! I live in south Louisiana and am moving to Dallas in 2016. I cook on a BGE, too. I've cooked on other cookers and they all work. The cook is as important as the cooker. A number of years ago I decided that I only wanted to take care of one cooker, so I am trying to learn how cook everything on the BGE. I know some things are easier on other cookers, but I didn't want to deal with the space and care issues associated with multiple cookers. Being a gizmo guy I discovered they all work, but I wish I had learned that you have to store and care for gizmos, too. Unfortunately you can't know the real value to you without using is. Some have proved better than others. Cajunrph You might want to check out the Forums in the category charcoal and sub category kamados.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Danjohnston949 I'll have to take some pics next time. Last week we made some bacon wrapped boudin balls and smoked them on the BGE. They were a hit. Pics are sure to follow.

Comment

Welcome.

I'm in east Texas from Lake Charles, La from Gueydan, La.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Cajunrph!

Comment

I figured with a last name of Broussard you were of cajun decent. Haha. I'm along the Gulf Coast south of Houston. I always say play to your audience. Cajun based food in Texas and BBQ based in Louisiana. Although the Boudin stuffing followes me in both states. Haha.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Cajunrph! I share your sentiments. You'll have a couple great cookers once that PBC arrives, and good capacity for larger cooks too. Nice job on your signature!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Thanks Huskee. I'm learning as I go. I updated my signature to make it mo better. I'm sure I'll tweak it as I go along. Great place we have here. Much to learn. Dangerous place for the pocket book. I couldn't sleep one night and I was looking at recommended grills for 2015. I darn near convinced myself to pick up yet another grill. And it wasn't one of the cheap ones. I mentioned it to my girlfriend, and she was shocked because I already have three. I told her I can only have one girlfriend but many grills are acceptable. She didn't follow my logic. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
                          Welcome to fun in the Pit! I live in south Louisiana and am moving to Dallas in 2016. I cook on a BGE, too. I've cooked on other cookers and they all work. The cook is as important as the cooker. A number of years ago I decided that I only wanted to take care of one cooker, so I am trying to learn how cook everything on the BGE. I know some things are easier on other cookers, but I didn't want to deal with the space and care issues associated with multiple cookers. Being a gizmo guy I discovered they all work, but I wish I had learned that you have to store and care for gizmos, too. Unfortunately you can't know the real value to you without using is. Some have proved better than others. Cajunrph You might want to check out the Forums in the category charcoal and sub category kamados.
                          I'll check them out, thanks. Good luck in Dallas, we won't hold it against you if you become a Cowboy's fan.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                            LA Pork Butt commented
                            Editing a comment
                            @ Cajunrph Don't worry. I grew up in New Orleans and was in the enzone for the 1st season opener watching the opening kickoff 95 yard touchdown run toward me. Go Saints! Go Tigers!

• Cajunrph
                            Cajunrph commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's good to hear. There are many Dallas football jokes out there. I'm sure you'll hear them even up there.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here