Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael from Ladoga, IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael from Ladoga, IN

Hello everyone. I've been creeping this site since I built my first custom smoker 3 years ago.

I'm a corn/soybean farmer as my day/night/weekend hobby. I started picking up smoking meat as a replacement for eating fried foods from quick diners during the times when I spend 16 hrs in a tractor. I like smoking a big pork shoulder or brisket and taking it with me. I have a 12 volt road pro stove I use in cab to heat up the meat.

I jumped head first into smoking by building my first smoker out of 100 gal propane tank with an offset fire box. Talk about trial by fire. I spent a lot of time redesigning it to help keep fire right. I got decent at it. Then I went and had my first kid (April 2015, Girl, Henley). Quickly realized I didn't have much time to watch a fire and sub 1 year old so I bought a traeger pellet grill. Really helped with time constraints but don't feel like as good of smoke flavor. Trade-offs.

Looking forward to learning more from everyone and getting into more cuts of meats.

Welcome Mleecline

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mleecline! Thanks for what you do, helping put food on our tables. And congrats on the baby, must be a lotta fun (work?) having an 8 mo old crawling around, soon to be walking. Great job setting up your signature, I take it you've already read though your homework? Here it is anyway:

Please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Mleecline, Michael Welcome to The Pit! Congratulations on the new daughter, Henley! I bet your Field Lunches are a lot better now! 👍👍🐷👍👍
        Ear Well and Prosper! Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; December 3, 2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Hello Michael! I'd love to see that rig you built!

Comment

Mleecline ,

Welcome to the pit. Always glad to meet another resident and farmer from Indiana.

Take 231 south and get on 67 and eventually you will end up in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Welcome to the learning Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Michael. Glad you're here!

Comment

Here is the smoker Jon Solberg . When I redo it I'm going to do the lid better. I thought I wanted a Really wide opening, but I was wrong. Its just too heavy to lift.

The fire box needs to be made out of 1/4" steel, but I didn't have any when I first built it. So I'm going to cut that out and rebuild it.
                  Last edited by Mleecline; December 4, 2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Is there anyway you can attach a counterweight to the lid?

• Mleecline
                    Mleecline commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I could. but seemed more complicated than remaking lid.

I spent a year of college down in your neck of the woods Nate. Attended Vincennes for a year. Really learned how to drink well down there.

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My 2 A.S. degrees before I went on to get my B.S. and MBA are from there... I live about 30 minutes north east of there.

• Mleecline
                    Mleecline commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome. I transferred to purdue after year down there.

I'm down in your area every little bit. We have an elevator in Loogootee. The old feed mill on east side.

Nice pit Mleecline

Comment

• Mleecline
                    Mleecline commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. Hoping to get more use out of it soon.

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

• Mleecline
                    Mleecline commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks!

Welcome to the Pit from a grass farmer!

Comment

• Mleecline
                    Mleecline commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! Livestock?

• Fine Swine
                    Fine Swine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well we do have some wild game... But no...Golf Course Supt.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here