Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Southern Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Southern Cal

Hi, I'm new to smoking food and just joined this evening. Thank you for all the great information this site provides, especially for newcomers. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

Thanks again!

Art

Welcome to The Pit AFlores5! Glad to have you here. I was new only a year ago and I've both learned a lot and cooked some delicious food. Looking forward to hearing about your cooks and see some pictures!

Comment

@AFioresS, Welcome to The Pit! Art, you are in the right place Now! 👍👍🐷👍👍. From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

@AFloresS welcome to learning in the Pit! What are you cooking on?

Comment

• AFlores5
          AFlores5 commented
          Editing a comment
          hey LA PB thanks for the welcome. I'm cooking on a Smoke Hollow 44 inch gasser and so far so good. Im struggling a bit with the temp being too high so i bought a new hose with an adjustable valve to try and remedy that. I'll let you know how it goes.thanks !

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          @AFloresS While you are in the pit click on Forums and scroll down to gas grills, and you will finds lots of tips.

Welcome to The Pit AFlores5 / Art! Great to have you here with us and thank you for the support. What are you using for equipment, and what are some of your goals regarding BBQ skills and equipment?

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• AFlores5
          AFlores5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the welcome! I recently bought a Smoke Hollow 44 inch Gasser and so far i've managed to smoke ribs, chicken thighs and a few pork butts.It's been really enjoyable and my family and friends say the food has been good. I on the other hand am my biggest critic and I think it can always be improved. Im quickly realizing the the strength of different types of wood and I need to be better at pairing the right wood for the right meats... I smoked two tri tips with mesquite on Thanksgiving and i felt they were too strong.... My guest ate almost all of it and said it was fine but i didn't think the same. I'll keep experimenting and update. Thanks again.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          AFlores5 Cool! In order of lightest to strongest, I like to use oak on beef, and pecan and hickory are popular with it too. My favorite right now is oak + cherry wood for beef. Otherwise apple and ash are my standbys for most other things. Those kinda things can be very subjective and then some folks don't care what wood they use. It's a fun process learning those things.

• Livermoron
          Livermoron commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with Huskee...the experimentation with smoke is pretty exciting to me. I go with oak on beef, apple/hickory on the bacon, and apple on pork and turkey.

Still figuring out chicken. Most of the chicken we eat is thighs marinated in MHs Kolbe recipe and served on lettuce wraps. Outta sight!

Welcome AF!

Comment

Welcome AFlores5

Comment

Hello Art! Recipes and pictures are always appreciated. Do you have a favorite butcher shop?

Comment

Welcome Art! Cheers from Los Angeles! AFlores5

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Art. Glad you're here!

Comment

Welcome! But don't give away our little secret. The best BBQ is in California.

Comment

Welcome AFlores5! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction! Lots of good info here and a friendly crowd.

Comment

Welcome to a fellow So. Californian! I'm in West LA (Rancho Park). How 'bout you? Favorite butcher shop?

Comment

Hey All,

I realize its been sometime since Ive posted anything and i know I've been missing out on some great info. I'm looking at moving from my gas smoker to a pellet smoker/grill. Ive read many reviews and Im leaning toward the Camp Chef Woodwind with the optional sear box. Any thoughts on that... I appreciate any feedback you can offer friends.

Art

Comment

• Nate
                            Nate commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Start a new thread and you will get more responses

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here