Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here goes it- Phoenix, AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here goes it- Phoenix, AZ

Been lurking the frontpage for a number of years, finally started hunkering down this year and buying all the GOLD Medal gadgets and felt it was time to pay my respects to the gang that helped up my Grill Game. I really wished you guys had a donate button as initially I didn't want to join, but hell forcing me to interact with other flame and smoke enthusiast may do me some good! So thank you to the Men & Women behind the site.

I hail from the East Coast and Uncle Sam brought me out West and several years in the traveling game the family decided to plant roots in Arizona. So here I am, at times I'm an professional hobbyist that is eagerly looking to find the best gear I can get my grimy lil paws on, but usually not before I've spent some years doing it the "hard" way to develop an appreciation for the craft. To the gun & ammo guys and gals in the crowd as a point of reference for my methodical ways, I'll say I spent about 6 years on an Single Stage Rock Chucker making bullets one by one before I bought a Dillon and it's not auto-indexing because I'm that much of an Anal Retentive prick at times and like to take my time. I'm a gun guy, ammo guy, scotch & whisky/whiskey guy, cigar guy, food guy, and I pretend to be a car guy every so often and do some performance mods on the F30 with supervision from friends far more engine inclined than I.

Onto the meat & potatoes- started on the cheaply made grill baskets you see out at parks at my apartment complex about 3 years ago, it was in direct sunlight dirty as sin and required me to lug all the charcoal and dreaded lighter fluid outside my apartment and down some steps. No good. Fast forward 3 years no longer into Apartment living, I'm the proud owner of Weber 22.5 Kettle with the coal baskets, I've since rid myself of the lighter fluid and have an Chimney. I just recently took a trip out Scottsdale and purchased some cooking wood in addition to being now 45 days into the Traeger Elite Jr with just a slight Nomex Mod. So now I'm into Pellet, Charcoal and Chunk. Grilling and smoking has taken on an whole new meaning and it's slowly becoming an additional food item that's being requested of me at friend get togethers.

I'll likely be reading in the shadows trying to find a butcher so I can get more variety then what my neighborhood Sprouts has, thanks for reading and making this site so insightful!

Owensaz, Welcome to The Pit! Your Story sounds all to familiar, right down to casting bullets for my black powder Ruger Revolver! My Model T solves my craving for automotive experience! I have Two Weber 22.5" Kettle Grills, a S 'n S and a BBQ Guru DigiQ that I just learning how to use! I would recommend the S 'n S to you! It gives a whole new dimension to BBQ in a Weber! Eat Well and Prosper! 👍👍🦃👍👍 Happy Thanks Giving, Dan

Comment

Welcome Owensaz

Comment

Welcome abaord!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

Welcome. Ill be looking for your smoke cloud

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I guess you are a year round griller.

Comment

Welcome. Wise choice to join. You will learn something new every week.

Comment

Welcome aboard! We could be brothers!

Comment

Welcome to the Valley of the Sun. Whereabouts are you living?

Best regards,
                    Jim

Comment

Welcome, and if you are like me you will homepage the pit and when it is time to relax check in with todays posts. As far as gold gadgets I purchased the ET-733 wireless thermometer via meatheads link. Pretty relaxing to be able to watch the big game and check the meat and bbq temp, like every couple minutes since it is right there with you. Being able to hang out in the pit is worth the price of admission!
                      The ET-733 Redi-Check is a dual-probe transmitter/receiver designed for food and oven monitoring from a remote location.

Comment

Originally posted by jgg85234 View Post
                        Welcome to the Valley of the Sun. Whereabouts are you living?

Best regards,
                        Jim
                        Right down from Luke AFB.

Comment

Gents thanks for the warm reception, far as gadgets i grabbed a few. Almost did the wireless thermometer but then decided on the:

http://www.thermoworks.com/kits/?tw=AMAZINGRIBS ThermaQ MEATHEAD KIT

Model: 860-400

In addition to that kit I picked up:
                          TimeStick, Blue
                          Burger Probe
                          Sous Vide Needle Probe 60mm
                          Smoke House Penetration Probe-Stainless overbraid
                          Infrared Thermometer

Literally waited years before dropping the coin on the proper tools, but it was well worth it no more guesswork.

I bought a few probes that personally I felt were a bit more tech than I needed, but having a wife that feels she HAS to cook everything full-done to be safe I figured the additional gear would make her comfortable cooking an Medium-Rare steak. She'll eat anything I cook and my little one likes the consistency of a Medium steak, hopefully the extras help. I was proud to watch her cook a burger we made 50/50 (chuck, top sirloin) to 140 and letting it sit there for a few minutes vs cooking it to death at well done.

We absolutely grill all year, there's been times I've gone outside and the weber analog dial is reading 110 plus and I have to use a glove to remove the lid BEFORE coals are lit, but I've got just enough shade out back for me and drinking a gallon of water for every two beers or so is not uncommon for me during the summer. After Turkey Day I'll be trying my hand at making some fresh pizza in the Weber on a stone using some Pecan Wood. My IR gun should be here bright and early Friday and we'll be making some fresh dough, wish me luck lol!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Owensaz! We're glad to have you here and thanks for your support. We have a "Know a Good Butcher?" thread, and here's the link to AZ butchers so far. If it doesn't help you, be sure to contribute to it once you find some in your area worth sharing (or warning others about!)

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

We have a "Know a Good Butcher?" thread, and here's the link to AZ. If it doesn't help you, be sure to contribute to it once you find some in your area worth sharing (or warning others about!)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here