Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New from Ohio (summer) and AZ (winter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from Ohio (summer) and AZ (winter)

I just wanted to say hi, and thank you. While I'll mostly be a lurker I've already learned an enormous amount of things from this site. I felt this web site has saved many times over the cost of admission to this forum so I'm paying back a little and who knows you all might get me to try some ribs, brisket, or turkey. Even though I only have a gas grill.😳😁. So with those thoughts in mind I'm going to sit back, sip my bourbon, read a few post, and let my 4 burner gasser indirectly slow cook my chicken breast while my potatoes crisp on the high burner. Again thanks to those responsible for this site in its entirety.
    Everyday

Welcome to the Pit! Join the fun!

Comment

Welcome Everyday

Comment

Everyday, WELCOME TO THE PIT! The Way the WX Turned Perhaps You Should Have Left Yesterday? Enjoy the desert winter! 👍👍🦃👍👍.
        Eat Well And Prosper! Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Addiction!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Everyday! Glad to have you here wherever you call home!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome Everyday. Hope you made it to Arizona before the storms back east.

FWIW, I got one of my customers to use my digital thermometer on his gas grill to make a couple of racks of St. Louis cut ribs. Told him he needed to keep the grill below 250, and to cook the ribs for 5 hours. Taught him the bend test.

He told me he normally only ate 1 or 2 ribs when he made them (family of 4). Asked him how many leftovers he had from the 2 racks and he said "none". I then asked how many ribs he had, and he told me he thought 11 or 12.

We'll still convince you (at least try) to cook with charcoal or wood, but you can get great Q from a gas grill provided you manage the temperatures.

Again, welcome to the Valley of the Sun

Jim

Comment

• Everyday
                  Everyday commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks jgg85234
                  Well I'm still in the cold east until after the holidays. My first order of business, after a few cooks just to break in my new grill and get used o it, is a couple of racks of ribs. Unfottunatlry I had he new built in grill done before I found this amazing site. If we find we like the slow easy flavor and texture a stand alone smoker could be on the horizon.

I did just order a thermopop, and alarm chef thermometer. Can't hardly wait to get to AZ and fire up that grill.

Thanks to all for the welcomes. This is really an Amazing site.

Comment

Greetings Everyday ! What part of Arizona do You like the best?

Comment

• Everyday
                    Everyday commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just south of Queens Creek. Do you over winter there?

• SaturdayShoppe
                    SaturdayShoppe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Everyday , I worked in the Yuma area year round for awhile. It was so far south that you had to go north to enter California.

Welcome Everyday! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Everyday ! Glad you're here. You can get some great cooks off of a gas grill. That's all I used for years. Be sure to read Meathead's article on two-zone cooking. Also, I learned how to cook with the rotisserie feature this year which has opened up even more possibilities. Good luck and have fun! --

Comment

South of Queen Creek? Are you moving onto the reservation? I'm in Gilbert, just North of Queen Creek.

Jim

Comment

• Everyday
                      Everyday commented
                      Editing a comment
                      jgg85234 didn't realize where you were from when I wrote that. Didn't figure you knew where Florence was. I have a couple nephews in Gilbert / Chandler area. I'm just learning the area. What kind of gas grill did you use for those many years? Sure wish I'd found this site before I built my grill wall, I'd have done a lot of things different. Ah well, something to build towards😀

Well, today marks 40 years since I arrived in Arizona. And, I've lived in Gilbert for almost 30 years of that. Population centers were a lot smaller then. Gilbert was only about 5,000 people when we built our house.

Been to Florence many times. Astronomy hobby has resulted in a lot of nights out in the desert at different locations outside of the Phoenix nebula. As a result, I pretty much know my way around all of Arizona, without even needing a map.

I didn't use a gas grill, always used a Weber kettle. Only on my second one in all those years, the first one got squashed between a bumper and a block fence back in 1988. For my whole life, I've figured that charcoal or wood was the only way to cook outdoors.

The customer of mine who had the gas grill just never realized how hot his grill temperature was until I showed him with the digital thermometer.

I never got ribs right on the Kettle either, until I added the Slow n Sear. We can experiment with rubs and sauces forever, but the real secret to getting tasty ribs is cooking them for a long time at low temperatures. And, just like anything else in this world, "you can't manage what you can't measure". Dome thermometers don't do a good job of telling you what temperature you're cooking at.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here