Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Austin

Well, actually just outside of Austin, TX.

My wife thinks I may have a problem, I grill/BBQ 2-4 times/week. She can always tell when it will be a grill night when I walk through the door... must be some expression of bliss or something I exude... I don't know, but grilling makes me happy.

I am an egghead. I always thought the BGE cultists were a bit weird, and didn't "buy it" that there was anything special about their weird looking green oven thing, (but I did notice most of them built or had build various enshrinement enclosures for them...) A friend asked me to help him pick up a BGE about 18 months ago (I have a truck, this happens from time to time). I had a hand me down cheap bullet smoker and always wanted something better. Long story short, the salesman was good, there was a sale, and we drove off with two Large BGEs in the truck. I knew something was different when in my fist cook I overshot the meat temp of the whole chicken by 15 degrees, yet the breast wasn't destroyed, it was still juicy!

This year for my birthday I requested an Extra Large so that I could cook more things simultaneously and at different temps. I still have my Webber which I got 19 years ago, and though I've not used in 2 years, I can't quite part with it. I also made a built in grill island with a FireMagic charcoal grill (I'm convinced it was the biggest waste of money I've made to date... temperature control is a joke).

I see that AmazingRibs wisdom doesn't find the BGE good for 2 zone grilling, but I primarily bought them for smoking and roasting. Perhaps the webber will get de-rusted and see new life for reverse searing steaks! (The FM is probably going to the metal recycler... it truly sucks and to think of the 3 years I wasted trying to make it work...)

My favorite thing to BBQ is pulled pork, with Carolina style vinegar sauce. I've done three on the BGE and the last one was so awesome I'm almost sorry I invited friends over to eat it (no leftovers!).

I hope to become skilled enough to claim the title of Pitmaster one day (even if I'm only a master in my backyard).

Cheers!

-Erich (aka Mettius)

Howdy!

I lived in Austin for a number of years in the 90s and fell in love with the town. (It probably didn't hurt that I had a gig as the KJ at Toulouse and later as barker for the Velveeta Room.) I took a job last year that had me living there again for a couple of months and I was completely shocked and devastated by the changes I saw on 6th Street.

Anyway, I say welcome!

Comment

Austin has definitely changed, even in the years since I've been here (moved here in '99). It is becoming more like another big Texas city, but still has something that I can't place that I like about it. (But not Austin Energy with their be green or die high rates!)

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mettius! We are actually pretty big fans of the BGE in that it's a great smoker/baker, has a large following, and lots of accessories to help improve the out of the box grilling experience. Where it falls short is in two zone cooking, you have to reach in when you're using a spider to sear, and making rapid temperature changes. MH has a really good article on the subject. Anyway it's great to have an Egghead here and we do want to hear how you make it work for you. When you have a chance take a few minutes to read my welcome letter as well as tips on how to use The Pit. They can be found in the Welcome and Announcements Channel. In particular, check out my tip #1 on signature creation and tip #4 on pic uploading. Tip #4 will help display your pics in a larger format that's viewable in the thread itself. As you can see we're a small but growing community. The more information and love you put in the more interest we'll get from fellow Pit members. Before you know it we'll have a BBQ wiki bounty of information for everyone to review, improve, share, and use. I look forward to your input!

Comment

Hey Mettius. WELCOME. Is the iron gate still cooking down there? I've not beet in Austin for several years.

Comment

• Mettius
            Mettius commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not familiar with it, I'm afraid. (Iron Grate that is)

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here