Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction

Hi Q'ers. I'm the Outdoor guy, new to the pit and just checking in. I'm on the West Coast in SoCal. Had a gathering of 40 at my place last weekend and low and slowed 2 prime 18 Lb. Briskets, and 8 racks of Compart spares. the Smoked Mac and Cheese was the best. I cooked on my dad's first Weber Kettle in 1957 and have never been without one. Today I use a rather large Santa Marie type open grill, 3 Weber Kettles, 4 WSM's (14" to 22.5") and 3 Backwoods. I always wondered how do you clean a UDS? I've never used one but seems like sooner or later the drippings have to accumulate on the bottom. Thanks,

Welcome, sounds like quite the grill collection. The easiest way to clean a UDS is to go inside and grab a beer, sit down and watch some football.

Comment

I don't have a UDS, but the PBC is pretty damn close. Ive never cleaned it. I bet I have close to 60 cooks on that beast. I wouldn't worry about it. BarBQ's2Go

Comment

Do you get any accumulation of grease on the bottom that's near or around the fire box that could be an issue? Although they are use a lot everywhere I really don't know anyone close that has one.

Comment

BarBQ's2Go is it painted black? Leave it in the sun for an afternoon, tip it over and pour it out into something. That's all I ever do if I get enough at the bottom to worry about. Otherwise you could get a good fire going in it without the lid and try to burn it off. BTW welcome to the pit!!

Comment

How about sizes? Is 55gal an over kill apposed to a 30gal drum? Can you get a large packer in a 30 gal barrel?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Lotta people love their 55 gal UDS'. I've hung 5 in the Pit Barrel and luckily the middle one was barked up at the 5 hour mark so I could wrap it and stick it in the oven. Then proceed to bark up the top of the flat on the other 4.

I just bought a 55 gal drum to burn trash in it and was like, "dang this thing is HUGE!!!" I was really wondering how many briskets I could fit in that sucker. I got so many food orders coming in for Thanksgiving b/n pork butts, turkeys, and briskets, I may need to add something soon. The PBC and 22" kettle SnS combo is getting maxed out.

I have had grease leaking out my vent when I had 4-5 briskets hanging after cooking 12 briskets in 3 days, and eventually had to scrape some stuff out. But that took a bunch of briskets to get some build up. I now leave what little charcoal I have left burn out and cleans things up a bit.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 12, 2015, 11:46 PM.

I don't think a 55gal UDS is overkill, the bigger the better right? I can fit a 22inch grate in mine. I don't know what size grate is in a PBC but they mostly hang the meat in them. Jerod Broussard if I remember has had 5 packers in his PBC at once. If you have any questions regarding capacity he'd be willing to answer for you.

Comment

BarBQ's2Go, Welcome to The Pit! It sounds like you can BBQ the Tail Off The Gate with your Setup! 👍👍👍👍👍. From Fargo ND. Dan

Comment

Welcome BarBQ's2Go

Comment

Welcome to The Pit BarBQ's2Go! Wow, you have a nice array of cookers! Glad to have you here in The Pit.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. (One of them being getting your signature set up with all your cookers!)

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Hi to everyone and thanks for the welcome and all the help. Like I said I have never cooked with a UDS but it keeps popping up from the back of my mine. Wife say's if I bring home another cooker she's gone. But she's been around for 40+ years so I think I'm fairly safe. Any advantage to a Gateway UDS? They are pretty pricy for a 55 gal drum. Husky I'll do the homework as requested.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit'

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome aboard fellow Southern Californian!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit BarBQ's2Go . Looks like you have some able bodied assistants. Let me know if you need any help at your next gathering!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here