Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miranda Smith in Seattle wants to cook a Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miranda Smith in Seattle wants to cook a Brisket

I have a PBC which I cook on weekly and love the results. Mostly chickens and ribs with an occasional butt. I also have a 22" weber kettle with a SNS. After haunting some reddit subs I had pretty well convinced myself that I needed to get a kamado. But then i was cooking brats and zucchini on my weber for dinner and realized that I haven't mastered the basics at all. So given that a quality brisket is north of an annual membership here and feeling like I would really enjoy the banter it made perfect sense to join. I've already been combing the PBC forum and have taken a bunch of notes. Gonna try the 15-10-10 method for lighting my coals. But the pressing question is do I cook the 17# prime packer brisket in my fridge on my Weber or in my PBC? I've developed an appetite reading all these threads and am ready to light my tumbleweeds and get smokin'!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_170893.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1195494

Welcome from California! When I had a Webber I smoked a lot of ribs and butts, but never attempted a brisket until I had an offset. I was very intimidated by brisket because of all the horror stories I’d read.

After reading Meatheads brisket article on the main site so many times I nearly had the darn thing memorized I finally pulled the trigger on brisket. And it’s now a staple around here.

Either of your cookers can handle the job, but a 17lb packer sounds like a tight fit on the Webber, so I’d lean towards the PBC. I don’t have one, but a buddy of mine turns out excellent barbecue on his PBC.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. I don't have a PBC so someone will be along who does and can help you.

Comment

Welcome from out in the sticks of Southeast King County ....... I think you can be very successful with a brisket on either of your cookers. Since I don't have a PBC, I can't give you much advice there. But, I do have a Hasty-Bake Gourmet, Weber Smokey Mountain, and a SNS Kettle with insert. That one is my newest cooking toy and I've committed to cooking everything on it for 12 months to see if it can compete with the Hasty-Bake in the long run. So, the next brisket I cook will be on the kettle, not one of its bigger brothers.

I've written a guide to cooking brisket that you may find valuable whether you choose the PBC or the Kettle to do that brisket cook.

Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing your cooks and getting to know you!

Comment

• MsTwiggy
          MsTwiggy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I'll take a look at that.

• radiodome21
          radiodome21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect. Thanks for reposting this. I too am doing my first brisket tomorrow and was going to search this out because I’ve read it before. Now I just have to decide if I want to use my pellet smoker or WSM.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          radiodome21 totally welcome and hopefully it’s helpful for you. Personally, I love the WSM for brisket. But I don’t have a pellet smoker to compare. Looking forward to seeing how the cook goes!

Welcome from SoCal! Two PBC folks that know a lot about that cooker are fzxdoc and HawkerXP. Tagged them to see what they can bring to your adventure!

Comment

Good fer you! You chose the Pit over a brisket, the brisket will come in time. Yup, as Ol’ ecowper hinted at you will be able to do it on yer kettle with the SnS, also on the barrel. Important thing is to pluck all the feathers off’n the brisket before ya cook it. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe take another Pit member with you when you shop for brisket next time... 😂

• MsTwiggy
            MsTwiggy commented
            Editing a comment
            The salesperson told me it was the hot new USDA grade. . . foul 🤣

• gboss
            gboss commented
            Editing a comment
            "Dino Ribs"

Welcome Ms T!

Which cooker you use isn’t really going to matter. Each will give you great results.

Here is the Mosca brisket pep talk: don’t overthink things. People get all worked up about having a huge investment in time and money, plus it’s usually for a group of people so there’s social pressure. It’s a big hunk of meat. Just cook it. You don’t have to wrassle it, you don’t have to outthink it. Heat it up and eat it.

All briskets are different, but all briskets do the same thing. They cook, stall, restart, and finish. Anticipate that, and you can predict the future.

The rest of the internet has a lot of the nuance of rubbing, wrapping, slicing, etc. covered. Here are three important things people forget to say.

1) Trim that son of a gun. Not just the fat, but all the thin stuff on the edges. If most of your brisket is going to be great, those parts are going to be overdone. Just trim them and use them for something else. Throw them in the beans.

2) Check the temperature in the thickest part of the flat, under the point but not in the intramuscular fat. If the flat is done, the point will be, too.

3) Start checking with the probe at around 190*. Not because it will be done then, but so’s you know what the probe feels like when it ISN’T done. As it gets closer and closer to done, it will go in smoother and smoother, until you think, "Oh. Now it goes in like through butter!" If you’re thinking, "Is that like butter?" Then it isn’t.

Have fun! Remember the absolute worst thing that can happen is that it’s dry and stringy, and everyone lies and says it’s great.
          Last edited by Mosca; March 25, 2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            1) +1

My thinking, when it comes to the hard fat or thin parts of the meat, is if I don't plan to eat it I'm not going to cook it.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally +100 on aggressive trimming. I basically take the entire fat cap off. In my experience, most people trim it off the brisket slices when they are eating them and half that beautiful seasoning and bark is gone when they do.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper Yeah, and I’ve never noticed it "protecting" or "lubricating" anything.

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here.

One thing I have learned from the guru's here is don't overthink it, it's meant to be fun

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas! While I don’t typically cook low and slow on my Weber, when I do I always liked the Snake Method. Check it out on YouTube.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Mosca said everything I was thinking. Read Eric’s guide and tips and just enjoy the process.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Enjoy the process is the best advice!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from TN. Our AR brethren and sisters won't steer you wrong. My onliest addition would be to pay attention to the hunk o meat you buy. I had always just bought whatever was the cheapest and looked the best at Costco until my last one which was USDA prime. The difference was notable. Not that the choice i was getting was bad, but the prime was excellent. So try and go prime if your pocket will allow.

Comment

• MsTwiggy
                  MsTwiggy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Check!!

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  100% ! If you don't have a COSTCO membership get one.

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 on prime.

Welcome! Just joined myself!

Comment

Welcome from Chicagoland! I have both, and would definitely recommend the Weber/SNS over the PBC for brisket.

Comment

So, I'm a former PBC owner (Wore it out) and currently have a Gateway drum. Briskets are tricky on drums, but completely possible. You'll be cooking at 300+ so id recommend flipping the brisket every 30 mints prevent burning. I'd also wrap it once you get a reasonable bark. I'm not a fan of wrapping, but there's a place for it here being its hot and fast. I'd also take it to 205-210 internal and then rest it for 3-4hrs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here