Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello and thank you from New Mexico!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and thank you from New Mexico!

Hi all, just wanted to drop in and say hi, my name is Dusty and I've been "smoking" for about a year now I suppose, mostly on google and advice from friends for special occasions. However, I was referred here by a coworker and have to admit I've learned more in the past 2 days of lurking than in a year of gleaning info from my buddies and trial and error. So thanks to all who put this site together, I feel like this site has taken the bar and set it a lot higher for me! I just wish I'd found the site sooner!

Edit: Hard to type on my phone, but I've been using the charcoal side of my charbroil grill for quite awhile now, I've gotten decent results (for me lol) using it with a couple turkeys last year and a few briskets since, but I did get tired of fighting it constantly and wanted a real smoker, ended up going with an electric for various reasons, namely storage space and lack of time, the pellet ones looked awesome but just bulky and out of my price range at the moment. I can post some pics and all later if anyone is interested, but either way, this site is awesome!
    Last edited by Thedcorvette; October 27, 2015, 01:33 PM.

Welcome man!! My sister lived in Alamogordo for a year or two.

Pictures always welcomed.

Comment

Welcome Thedcorvette

Comment

Welcome aboard Thedcorvette, you can learn a lot from this site. I have learned a lot in just a few times on here myself.

Comment

Thanks all! I recently did one of the better briskets I've done, but apparently didn't take pics , oh well, just means i'll have to smoke some more brisket! I'll see what I can dig up tonight though, switched phones recently, so I lost a few pics. I'm gonna do a roast tonight in the new electric smoker, I've never used it, but I'm somewhat skeptical now after reading through meathead's dissertations on electrics vs fire grilled. Will have to see if it was worth the fuss, or if I should just take it back and shell out the extra couple hundred for a traeger.

Comment

My wife is from Tucumcari, we drove out that way to see some of her friends but they met us in Amarillo where I was assured that I was close enough. They said I could go stand by 40 and watch the trucks go by to get the full experience.

Comment

Thedcorvette, Welcome to the Pit! Dusty it's about time you came in out of the Cold! 👍👍👍 Have Fun, Dan

Comment

haha john, that's about right, I'm from Maryland originally, it's definitely not a place I'm going to live for very long

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. You'll find it a lot more fun than lurking.

Comment

Change of plans... My roast wasn't defrosted, and the idiot (me) in charge of cooking it got a pork recipie mixed up with beef 😋, anyways grabbed a couple of baby backs on the way home and tried meatheads last meal recipie, Anyways, progress so far!

Comment

Took a couple hours longer than I'd hoped, but definitely amazing result for an off the shelf electric smoker! Have to say I prefer the fire smoked taste, but for the amount of effort can't go wrong really

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Thedcorvette! Glad to have you here. What's the story with your screen name? Inquiring minds...

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Will do on the to do list Huskee, my dad is a corvette nut, used to take me to Carlisle every year for the big corvette show, so when I was younger I went with dcorvette, eventually that got taken so I made it thed 😜. He's been working on a 68 with a 327 for quite some time, wish i could get him to finish it! Don't have any pics of it on my phone, will have to dig them out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here