Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello and thank you from New Mexico!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and thank you from New Mexico!

Hi all, just wanted to drop in and say hi, my name is Dusty and I've been "smoking" for about a year now I suppose, mostly on google and advice from friends for special occasions. However, I was referred here by a coworker and have to admit I've learned more in the past 2 days of lurking than in a year of gleaning info from my buddies and trial and error. So thanks to all who put this site together, I feel like this site has taken the bar and set it a lot higher for me! I just wish I'd found the site sooner!

Edit: Hard to type on my phone, but I've been using the charcoal side of my charbroil grill for quite awhile now, I've gotten decent results (for me lol) using it with a couple turkeys last year and a few briskets since, but I did get tired of fighting it constantly and wanted a real smoker, ended up going with an electric for various reasons, namely storage space and lack of time, the pellet ones looked awesome but just bulky and out of my price range at the moment. I can post some pics and all later if anyone is interested, but either way, this site is awesome!
    Last edited by Thedcorvette; October 27, 2015, 01:33 PM.

Welcome man!! My sister lived in Alamogordo for a year or two.

Pictures always welcomed.

Comment

Welcome Thedcorvette

Comment

Welcome aboard Thedcorvette, you can learn a lot from this site. I have learned a lot in just a few times on here myself.

Comment

Thanks all! I recently did one of the better briskets I've done, but apparently didn't take pics , oh well, just means i'll have to smoke some more brisket! I'll see what I can dig up tonight though, switched phones recently, so I lost a few pics. I'm gonna do a roast tonight in the new electric smoker, I've never used it, but I'm somewhat skeptical now after reading through meathead's dissertations on electrics vs fire grilled. Will have to see if it was worth the fuss, or if I should just take it back and shell out the extra couple hundred for a traeger.

Comment

My wife is from Tucumcari, we drove out that way to see some of her friends but they met us in Amarillo where I was assured that I was close enough. They said I could go stand by 40 and watch the trucks go by to get the full experience.

Comment

Thedcorvette, Welcome to the Pit! Dusty it's about time you came in out of the Cold! 👍👍👍 Have Fun, Dan

Comment

haha john, that's about right, I'm from Maryland originally, it's definitely not a place I'm going to live for very long

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. You'll find it a lot more fun than lurking.

Comment

Change of plans... My roast wasn't defrosted, and the idiot (me) in charge of cooking it got a pork recipie mixed up with beef 😋, anyways grabbed a couple of baby backs on the way home and tried meatheads last meal recipie, Anyways, progress so far!

Comment

Took a couple hours longer than I'd hoped, but definitely amazing result for an off the shelf electric smoker! Have to say I prefer the fire smoked taste, but for the amount of effort can't go wrong really

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Thedcorvette! Glad to have you here. What's the story with your screen name? Inquiring minds...

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Will do on the to do list Huskee, my dad is a corvette nut, used to take me to Carlisle every year for the big corvette show, so when I was younger I went with dcorvette, eventually that got taken so I made it thed 😜. He's been working on a 68 with a 327 for quite some time, wish i could get him to finish it! Don't have any pics of it on my phone, will have to dig them out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
                          Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it’s easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourcompletereview