Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Silicon Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Silicon Valley

I discovered this site about this time last year, but I never took the time to join until a few weeks ago when I finally took the plunge after almost a year of lurking the site. Like many of you, I love barbecue. I especially love ribs and Texas brisket, but until recently, I have been too intimidated to try smoking my own meats. We recently moved from Texas to California and I missed good old Texas barbecue. That motivated me to finally try the recipes from the site to smoke my own meats.

I own a second hand medium BGE I bought from a friend who wanted to buy a bigger one. I use a hardwood lump charcoal I buy from a BGE dealer in Santa Clara, CA. It is the shop's "generic" lump charcoal. For longer cooks, I use the Auber automatic temperature controller with the upgraded K type thermocouple controller sold on the Auber site. This piece of equipment is my "hobby saver" because it keeps my family from getting frustrated with me. It keeps me from having to check the BGE's temperature every 30 minutes. For meat thermometers, I used the Thermoworks DOT and Thermopop.

The information and recipes I learned from this site has made the process of smoking meats less intimidating. I've cooked ribs several times using a rub I bought at my local BGE dealer. My kids loved it, but I cannot wait to try ribs using Meathead's Memphis rub. I've also cooked a pork butt (to test out my Auber) and a brisket. While not perfect (the pork butt [~4.5 lbs.] and brisket [~5 lbs.] took a lot longer to cook than I thought), they turned out better than I thought. Enough that I've avoided trying to quench my barbecue appetite at the local barbecue joints. I still have lots to learn, but I hope to perfect the ribs and brisket soon. I grew up in NJ outside of NYC where my parents used to always take us to Katz deli for the pastrami. I want to make my own pastrami using Meathead's recipe before my parents and brother come out to visit for the holidays so I have objective judges on how close it gets to Katz's recipe.

Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself. I look forward to interacting with the members of this site, learning your techniques, and I look forward to cooking a lot more barbecue.

Ed S.

Welcome njwso

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I have a large BGE, and I use Royal Oak lump charcoal which I find to be more economical than BGE charcoal.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

njwso, Welcome to the Pit! 👍👍👍👍👍 You will find a whole Valley Full of information about BBQ free for the asking here! Great People are involved both as members of A/R's Staff and the members of the Pit Club! I don't believe any would knowingly give bad advice 👌👌👌 , Dan

Comment

Hello nj!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit njwso .

It's nice to have another egghead on board.👍

I have a large BGE I've been cooking on for about 5 years. I buy my lump from Smart and Final. It's made in Mexico with mesquite wood. I get a 40lb bag for $18.

A ceramic cooker with a temp controller is a set it and forget it rig. Without a temp controller a ceramic cooker can be challenging.

There are many ceramic member in the Pit. Feel free to ask questions and we will try guiding you in the right direction.

Show us some pictures of your BBQ...😎

Comment

Welcome njwso! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome my local friend I live in Stockton enjoy and remember Rome wasn't built in a day enjoy and have fun

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome. I will definitely take pictures the next time I cook something.

Comment

Welcome welcome! I'm new as well but not nearly as equipped to smoke as you. Jealousy abounds!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit njwso! Glad to have you here. Meathead's pastrami recipe is awesome. I've never corned my own beef, I cheat and buy storebought, but even from there his rub still makes incredible pastrami. I think your folks will be very pleased.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here