Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough Charlie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourdough Charlie

I am glad to have found Amazing Ribs! Another great resource to learn from.
    I am a country boy who grew up on everything home grown, home made, home butchered, home cured and virtually nothing store bought. At an early age I was fortunate to be "educated" in the art and science of farming, gardening, hunting, fishing, gathering, and preserving food. It was our way of life.
    My grandmother, mother and loving wife have all taught me so much about cooking. All styles! I developed an interest in sourdough baking during the 1976 bicentennial and have had a starter going since then. Soooo many delicious breads, biscuits, flapjacks and more.
    We love the art of curing smoking meats. I have done bacon, canadian bacon, ham, ribs, brisket, shoulders, salmon, burgers, venison, elk, moose, ducks geese and more. My wife, family and friends love every bite. Everyone is always anxious for the next meal.
    From the wood fired oven to the Traeger, and Cook Shack smokers to the Charcoal grill and the open fire pit we enjoy it all.
    Thank you for this wonderful site and the extensive knowledge it offers!

Welcome to the pit Charlie, gonna be hard to wait for pictures.

Comment

Welcome! I have to ask, how does one keep a sourdough starter going for almost 40 years? That's amazing!

Comment

• Sourdough Charlie
        Sourdough Charlie commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh it is easy to keep it going! The starter is just a yeast garden. Flour and water is the soil and the yeast grows eagerly in it. When you take starter out to bake with simply add more flour and water. When I'm not using it on a regular basis I keep the starter in the Fridg. and the yeast will go dormant. Take it out warm it up maybe freshen the pot by adding more flour and water. In a day or two it is very active again.
        Last edited by Sourdough Charlie; October 19, 2015, 06:01 AM.

Welcome and thanks for the support!!!

You undoubtedly fit right in!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Sourdough Charlie ...

Nice to have another Breadhead on board.👍

There's nothing like sourdough pancakes and waffles.

I love to see some pictures of your sourdough bread.

I have 2 addictions... BBQ and baking bread.

I bake most of my bread outdoors on my Big Green Egg. Sometimes I use a cast iron Dutch oven and sometimes I bake it on a pizza stone with a stainless steel mixing bowl over it to capture the steam for the first half of the cooking time.

I look forward to talking about bread with you.👍

Comment

• Sourdough Charlie
          Sourdough Charlie commented
          Editing a comment
          We agree on bread and BBQ! And yes sourdough flapjacks and waffles are straight from heaven! I am technology handicapped and haven't the slightest clue as to how to post pictures. I see there is a tutorial on the subject. Maybe that will help.

Sourdough Charlie Welcome to the Pit! I am glad you and Breadhead have introduced yourselves now the rest of us can just wait for the Sweat Rolls to be passed arround! 👍👍👍👍👍 Dan

Comment

A very belated welcome to The Pit Sourdough Charlie ! Sorry I wasn't around to welcome you when you first introduced yourself. We're glad you're here, and thank you for the support! Hope you visit again soon and chat more with us.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome Sourdough Charlie

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Charlie. I look forward to reading your posts.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome, I tried a sourdough started about 15 years ago but it just got nasty and haven't messed with it since. Maybe it's time to start again!

Comment

Ahhh, another Bread guy! Welcome, we, the other bread guys, will enjoy your contributions. As a recent convert, once mastered the making of bread can be fun and rewarding. Mostly rewarding to your friends who ask...how in the hell did you make this?

Comment

What about bread machines? They're nowhere near as popular as they once were but they're still around. Do any of them put out a decent loaf of bread?

Comment

• chudzikb
                        chudzikb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good yes, but, as you know, good is the enemy of great! All depends upon what you are looking for, easy quick, bread machine is your ticket. Effort and reward, scratch is the plan.

Welcome. You will love the great info from everyone. Looking forward to hearing more about your cooking and baking!

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here