Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokes Completed..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

Comment

Welcome from north Texas. It all looks good to me. What didn’t you like about the ribs? Have fun on the Pit.

Comment

Jdhaffie Welcome to the Pit. Why don't you tell us what you didn't like about the ribs, and maybe we can give you some pointers. In the meantime, I would definitely recommend following Meathead's Last Meal Ribs recipe and cooking techniques the next time you make ribs. Here's a link:

Mastering smoked ribs -- whether they are St. Louis style ribs, spare ribs, or baby back ribs -- with our comprehensive tutorial and recipe will make you a backyard all star.

I will also throw out that most "baby back" ribs aka loin back ribs are sold with way too much lean pork loin meat on top of the ribs. This can really lead to dry results. I've had the best luck with Saint Louis cut spare ribs. You can make these yourself form the full spares, which is what I usually do, and smoke the rib tips as a separate piece.

Comment

• Jdhaffie
          Jdhaffie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I will look for better ribs and try that.. might solve the problem all together! Cheers!

after reading the comments.. I think it might be the cut of the ribs.. I think its true they have been too lean.. I have been using the 3-2-1 routine.. 3 hours at 225 with the rub and spritzing every hour then 2 wrapped in foil with apple juice then 1 unwrapped sauced... I think I need to find a better rib cut for my next smoke...

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Try NOT spritzing your ribs - it basically cools them off and rinses off bark that is forming. Put them in cold from the fridge with just your rub. The wrapping in the 3-2-1 method (I find most baby backs are better using 2-2-1) braises the meat in its own juices, tenderizing, but also causing you to lose bark. But if you do it, no extra liquid should be necessary. I speak from experience, having done every rib method out there, smoking 3 to 6 racks at a time many many times since 1990.

Welcome from California!

I’ve been sold on dry ribs since I first visited Memphis in 2014. No sauce, no wrap. Just baby backs with a tasty rub (I use a modified version of Meathead’s Memphis Dust).
        Last edited by Santamarina; January 26, 2022, 01:22 AM.

Comment

I also started with the 321 method for ribs but have gradually and eventually moved away from it due to finding it overcooked the ribs more often than i was willing to deal with. I dont wrap much anymore and mostly stick to st louis cut. I do still sauce for the last portion of the cook but thats about it. Just a dry rub apart from that.

Welcome to AR!

Comment

Welcome, I love your pics...all of this looks fantastic!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here