Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So glad I found this site.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So glad I found this site.....

....that I had to join! Hello everyone. Well, I was introduced to this site in another forum (audio/video) that I frequent and am glad I did. I love to grill and have had gas grills for 20 years. Recently, I was looking for a new grill and, after much sole searching, decided to go back to basics and went with charcoal. I love grilling and am now ready to explore a new world and am very excited about it. So, I'm not new to grilling, but new to grilling with charcoal. I have the Weber Performer Deluxe with an SNS and am ready to calibrate this weekend with my first cook on it soon to follow!

I'm an avid music listener (to the point of having a dedicated; acoustically treated space); love anything outdoors (hiking; camping; scuba) and thoroughly enjoy cooking on fire. My screen name and profile pic are based on a band I enjoy: Pearl Jam (in case anyone was wondering).

Food-wise, well, I love it all..but I would classify myself as a "meat-a-tarian". My wife and daughter (9 yrs old) were shocked when I brought home the Kettle (they were thinking I was going for a Weber Genesis or Big Green Egg) and are hopeful everyone here will help me turn out fantastic meals. In turn, I hope to help others out as well (where I can).

So, to keep it short in hopes of not lulling you to sleep..........Hello!

Welcome to the Pit, jamhead I believe you are goinig to like it here! Generally Great People free to offer their experience and opinion all free for the asking! I just acquired a Weber Perfomer and a S 'n S I am happy with both so far. I would encourage you to go to abc.com and read their instructions for the S 'n S and the Weber particularly the section on Top Vent Location! 👍👍👍👍👍 Dan

Comment

Welcome, and long live the Mookie Blaylock's!!

Comment

Welcome jamhead! We're glad you're here. And very glad you got the Slow 'N Sear! Be sure to check out the lighting instructions. Charcoal grilling trumps gas grilling big time. You're about to take your cooking to the next level.

What are you cookin first?

Comment

Ha! Mookie Blaylock!

Thanks for the welcome....I think I will enjoy this site from my browsing.

Appreciate the tip Danjohnston949...will definitely read the instructions.

Pit Boss - I agree. Not to start trouble (gas vs charcoal, etc), but as I was in front of the grills at Lowes, I just couldn't get excited about another gasser. I was looking at the Egg long and hard, but it seemed to me to be difficult to achieve a true 2-zone grill area, and this site definitely opened my eyes to the importance of that (though I've always cooked with 2 zones). I've been wanting to go back to basics for awhile and work on the "craft" of grilling.

Not sure on the first cook. I'll definitely try some bacon-wrapped jalapenos (thinking of a little chorizo and mix of cheeses), but not sure after that. Maybe wings? My wife loves my ribs so I may go all out and do some baby backs.

I'm open to suggestions though.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the Pit jamhead ...

I'm an Egghead and have been for 4 years. However I'm probably going to buy a Kettle and a SnS too.

In a BGE the 2 zone cooking is done, up and down, and controlling the heat properly for both positions. I can easily reverse sear steaks on a BGE as well as any cooking devise. It will be easier on the Kettle/SnS setup though.

Welcome to The Pit jamhead! Glad to have you here. I'm a big Pearl Jam fan too. I like 80s and 90s rock.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here