Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from the panhandle of Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from the panhandle of Texas

Howdy from Lubbock Texas. Where Bob Wills is still the king and brisket reigns supreme. Although I do love a good pork rib. I love spending time with my family, cooking and eating. My cooking has really improved since finding Amazing Ribs. I love good music mostly country, (the real stuff not the commercial crap you hear on most stations), rock and blues. I love Stevie Ray Vaughn. I am a little Texas proud so my favorites are always Texans. Which brings me to whiskey and my favorite is Rebecca Creek made here in Texas as well. I look forward to getting to know everyone here and learning more from each of you.

Welcome to the PIT!!!! Stevie Ray is also one of my favorites.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! I lived four years on the edge of the panhandle north of Abilene in the town of Haskell. There I had some of the best chicken and as of yet I have not been able to imitate. They cooked it in a half 55 gallon drum with mesquite coals to one side basting it with 1/3 each of beer, butter, and apple cider vinegar with some black pepper an garlic thrown in. It was falling apart with the crispest skin ever. What are you cooking on? I am still trying to duplicate it on my Big Green Egg.

Comment

• Smoke-rings-in-the-dark
        Smoke-rings-in-the-dark commented
        Editing a comment
        A friend of mine has a couple of lake cabins on lake Stanford not far from Haskell. I am cooking mostly on a pretty good size offset smoker. I am not sure who made it but there are several in this area built like it. I also have an Oklahoma Joe that is combination offset smoker, charcoal grill, and propane grill. Of course I have a chat coal grill as well. I would like to buy a smoker on s trailer. I think I would like a Lang or something like that. Klose has some really nice designs, but I'm not sure about spending that much. The chicken sounds great. Sounds like something I'd love to try.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I knew some families named Klose, but that was over 40 years ago. Are they building smokers now?

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Smoke-rings-in-the-dark! It's a good thing you fessed up to real country and rock roll, I was getting worried you were Another Rhine Stone Cowboy? 🍻👍🍻👍🍻. Dan

Comment

Editing a comment
          No rhinestones here. There is a lot of good country music out there, sadly it just doesn't get played much on most radio stations.

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          You are absolutely Right! Just for the record I am from Fargo ND. Buddy Holley & The Big Bopper & & we're on their way to perform in Fargo-Moorhead the Day the Music Died! Gave a 15 year old kid the opportunity to put on the show for the promotors. His stage name is Bobby Vee and he went straight to the top! Dan

Howdy... Welcome to the Pit.😎

Comment

Howdy ! I was born in Canyon (south of Amarillo) but grew up in Pampa. Great place to be from ! I remember when Lubbock was dry and you would drive down the highway & drive over a bridge in the middle of nowhere & suddenly an area was lit up & bars, liquor stores, etc.

Comment

Welcome! Your screen name is one of my top 20 favorite country songs and by far my favorite Gary Allen song. I totally hear you on good country and not radio country, especially most from this decade.

I'll give you my homework assignment later, stay tuned....

Comment

Editing a comment
            That's why I picked it. I really like Gary Allen and that is my favorite by him. I was trying to come up with a name that had something to do with barbecue and that kind of came to me. I figure it either represents my overnight smokes trying for a great result or my blind hunt for good results before I found this website. Lol

Welcome Smoke-rings-in-the-dark! We're glad you're here. That might be the only time I ever type out that whole name

Comment

Sorry. It's a bit long. My attempt at originality. Normally when I have tried to come up with a username, everything I try has already been used. It's a song I really like and in my comment to Pit Boss I kind of told how I came up with it. You can call me what ever you want. I have been called a lot of things. Lol

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, if you're happy, I'm happy

Glad your here SRITD!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!! Good to see another person living in Lubbock on here!!

Comment

I think there are a few of us. I hope to get some good advice from locals including where to buy meat, wood, smokers and such.

Comment

As promised, here's our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Regarding wood- unless you're referring to local sources in your neck of the woods, my favorite online source for chunks & logs is www.FruitaWoodChunks.com, they have nearly anything that can be smoked with, they also sell chips. Great quality wood too.

What kind of smoker are you interested in?

Comment

I was really talking about local sources, but I had never considered buying online. We have a few places to buy wood here, but sometimes it is hit or miss. I have been looking to possibly buy in bulk, maybe a cord or so. That way I am always ready and never short. I bought a larger smoker on Craig's List, from a guy here in town. I do not know who builds them, but they sell them at Outdoor Chef, that's a local store where I buy a lot of the stuff I use including my wood right now. My main smoker is an offset smoker made of round 1/4 inch tubing 20 inches in diameter. It has a horizontal section and a vertical section. The temperature is not very even between the two sections so I mostly use the vertical section which is further from the smoke box. I love it, it works well and holds a little more than my previous smoker, but I think I would like to upgrade again. I think I would like one on a trailer. I would like for it to hold enough meat for a family reunion and would like it to cook more evenly than what I have. I like stick burners , but propane in the fire box to maintain temp might be a good thing. I would really like for it to have grill on the trailer as well. Basically I want something out of my price range. Lol. I will check out the home work and get to work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here