Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife almost said, "No!" Now wishes she'd said yes years ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife almost said, "No!" Now wishes she'd said yes years ago.

Ok, this may be a bit longer than many here, but I have to share with people that will appreciate it.

I've been married close to 20 years. Bought a cheap charcoal grill when we got our first house, but only used it a few times and it's long since rusted into junk.

A couple of years ago, we got a beagle/terrier mix who turned out to need tons of exercise or she tore things up. The longer, evening walks became my job. I still remember that first spring of 2014 as I smelled the first grills being fired up on my walk. Then, it increased as the summer wore on.

I spent the winter researching and had settled on a propane grill, Weber of course. I started setting money aside and figuring out how to broach the topic with the wife.

Father's Day rolls around and she says she's thinking about getting me a grill, what do I think. I excitedly tell her it's a great idea, that I've been wanting to get one, and researching for some time. She asks what I want and what it costs. When I tell her the price of a Genesis E-330, her unthinking response is, "Well, that's just stupid." She was thinking a Spirit-210.

It took a bit of work and "call this Christmas and Birthday too" and she finally, reluctantly, gave in.

It's been used more than the oven since then. She's not cooking 2-5 times a week. Now, she tells all her friends that it was the best gift ever.

I've done the typical steaks, burgers, brats, chicken, zucchini and tomatoes from the garden. I want to try ribs, and even though I know it's not really designed for it, I really want to smoke a brisket.

I do think that getting a smoker next year will be a much easier sell.

OH yeah... I found that too... Win the wife-unit over and it is a lot easier to get toys! Heh heh..

Welcome Aboard, by the way

Comment

Welcome to The Pit heimdal31! Great intro post! Glad to have you here. You absolutely can smoke on your grill, it just takes a little clever arranging. Meathead has articles on setting up a gasser for smoking, in case you haven't seen them yet. But...we all know a smoker is good to have too!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• heimdal31
        heimdal31 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, I've read Meathead's article. That and many others are one of the reasons I finally joined. (Just did my first reverse sear on some ribeyes last week. Wow!)

I got a web server error trying to put in a signature. Not quite sure who to contact on that.

Welcome aboard! You've accomplished what a lot of married guys find to be impossible, convincing the wife that grills and grill accessories should be a part of the household budget. Going forward you could have an entire outdoor kitchen if you play it right. Congratulations, I'm envious!

Comment

heimdal31 I'd be happy to help you. Either reply here or PM me and I'll see if I can set up for you.

Comment

My wife's the real "foodie" in the family and has taught me so much! That said, we've settled on a happy division of labor. The kitchen's hers, and I'll help when asked (but never unasked!). Fire/smoke/outdoors belongs to me.

It finds its purest expression during Thanksgiving dinner. The fact that I can cook the turkey outside means she can use the kitchen for other items, as well as allow her friends to cook with our space as well. The community really comes together. It's a wonderful thing to be a part of...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit heimdal31 ...

Eventually you will learn that you can cook or smoke on any device that you can control the temperature on. Like Huskee said Meathead goes into great detail of how to smoke in a gasser. David Parrish has engineered a devise that combined with a $99 Weber Kettle, the SnS at $80, will produce kickass BBQ. Then you can just use your charcoal starter to grill great steaks.

Learning those techniques and methods is much easier than convincing the spousal unit that it would be in her best interest to allocate funds for BBQ equipment. Acquiring the second $1000 of BBQ equipment is a much easier sell if... You cook her really, really outstanding food.😎

Comment

Just remember, if the wife is happy, you have the possibility of happiness.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Conversely, if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy.

Welcome, where you from?

Comment

heimdal31, Keep practicing Young Fella if your cooking is good enough She might buy the smoker for you! I know I've owned my wife for 42 years now, I have to do everything she tells me? Welcome to the Pit! You can learn about everything you need to know about BBQ techniques and equipment at this site! Furthermore if you have a question just post it and the Cavalry will be on the way to help. Have a Ball, Dan

Comment

WELCOME Lets see that Weber in action!

Comment

I've always found that it helps to time my toy purchases to take place right after my wife goes on a clothes shopping trip, particularly if she buys shoes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here