Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jersey WSM Smoker here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jersey WSM Smoker here!

This site is single handedly responisble for gross amounts of delicious bbq eating in my household!! I mostly smoke on my WSM 22.5, but occasionally throw a few smoke bombs on the gas grill with steaks. I currently use the Maverick ET732 dual probe setup. However I'm the market for a different setup due to some recent probe issues. I also use a Thermapen instant read.

Welcome Jersey man!! Do you raise Jersey dairy cattle, or live in Jersey??

Have you tried drying the probes in a 350 degree oven for a couple hours?

Sometimes moisture at the wire/probe juncture is the cause of failure.

I had one probe still living after over 2.5 years on my 732. I just got in two hybrid probes.

Comment

Welcome Aboard Jersey Man

Comment

bken1313, Welcome to the Pit' I hope you enjoy yourself and learn something every time you are here, Dan

Comment

Live in Jersey. The rubber seal on the grill probe failed and the thermocouple inside became gummed up. I took it apart and carefully cleaned it once. The second time I had to clean it, the thermocouple wire broke.

Comment

Probes are pretty much the weakest link. I let mine gum up beyond belief. I only worry about clean tips where the sensor is at, and those might get wiped off every 6 months or so. I periodically dry off in the oven (once or twice a year).

Comment

Welcome to The Pit bken1313! Thanks for joining up with us. Try getting ahold of Maverick at www.maverickhousewares.com. Depending on how old your unit is they may be able to help you out if it's in warranty. Their probes are like lightbulbs, you just never know. I have a probe that's 3.5 years old heavy use, and works great to this day but I've also lost many.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome, I have a 22.5 with the flimsy door still on, you done any mods yet?

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Thanks Huskee. I will check out the link.
                    John, I have not made any mods to the smoker. I have not had any issues keeping temp, so have not needed any mods.

Comment

Welcome to the pit. Glad your here.

P.S: You will soon realize that 99% of our mods, are "not needed" LOL!!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome, Jersey Boy. I envy your 22.5. I have the 14.5 and although it's a great little cooker capacity can be an issue, particularly with pork ribs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here