Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to California & The Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to California & The Pit

Hi all,

I’ve been a huge fan of the site for years and am finally in a place where I’ve been able to save for a serious grill/smoker - beyond excited to learn from & be inspired by everyone.
    Please let me know if anyone is near the South Bay of SF and/or might have recommendations on where to get good wood! (Will look for the right place to post my question on which cooker to get)
    Thank you!
    Attached Files

Welcome from North Florida. Many, many years ago we lived in Belmont.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB4D371D-B65D-4FF8-9635-11A7A5A0DBDA.gif
Views:	230
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	1120929 For wood, if you want some good wood chunks, here is my next order of wood.

Double Filet smoking chunks are 2x2x3 inch pure hardwood wood chunks!  Ideal for smokin wood BBQ, grills( gas and Charcoal)!  Awesome smoking capacity and flavoring.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

Welcome from Chico, Ca! What are you cooking on? It will make a difference on my recommendations.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with SheilaAnn and Panhead John. Their advice is spot on. You then won’t have to worry about a wood supply for now. You can pick up nice wood chunks at you local ACE Hardware store. Watch out, though. When you walk in for wood you might walk out with a BGE
          Last edited by tbob4; November 7, 2021, 02:18 PM.

• SC Grillmore
          SC Grillmore commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you SheilaAnn and Panhead John, I think it’s a 22” and will definitely grab a slow and sear. Are y’all fans of the rotisserie set up or not worth it?

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          SC Grillmore I’m sure lots of people will disagree with me, but I don’t see a need for the rotisserie. But that is just my opinion……

Welcome from Brentwood, on the delta.

Comment

Hi from Da LBC! (30 minutes-ish south of Los Angeles)

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... That avatar of yours makes it look like you might be in the East Bay Area ... say about 5369 miles east of downtown SF.

Comment

• SC Grillmore
              SC Grillmore commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks MBMorgan, I’m over in San Mateo but the picture is from a trip to Wales right before Covid… back when we could travel more easily abroad .

Welcome from Fresno. I don't have a stick burner, but I would think there would be a lot of possibilities for fruit and nut tree wood in the countryside around here. Farmers are always pulling trees out to plant something else. You're not too far from Watsonville. I'll bet there are a number of places there that sell fruit or nut wood as firewood.

Comment

• SC Grillmore
              SC Grillmore commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Wedunne! That’s a great idea, I’ll see what I can’t find / maybe ask around at the farmers markets that seem to be so plentiful around here.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              orchards...

Wow, you might be the only member who lives in a castle! Really glad to have ya aboard, eat good & have fun!

Comment

• SC Grillmore
              SC Grillmore commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol, that’ll be the day FireMan If I did I could probably harvest my own wood !!

Welcome to The Pit Ms. Grillmore, glad to have you join our little band of misfits.

Here’s the spot to post when you’re ready to ask for recommendations on a new grill/smoker. This is one of our favorite past times here in The Pit….helping to spend your money!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ls-and-smokers
            Last edited by Panhead John; November 6, 2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              You’re not gonna be boring us, I can assure you. Especially when you post what recommendations you’d like for a new cooker. You’ll be bombarded with help! But, just between me and you….don’t listen to anyone but me. Now, I’m gonna give you fair warning, from personal experience. I used to live in a $3,000,000. mansion before joining the pit. I currently reside in a van down by the river. Nuff said.

• SC Grillmore
              SC Grillmore commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John I'll take it as a kind warning ... I've partly had to wait this long due to other expensive hobbies (esp travel) - so I can relate!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              SC Grillmore Learnin to successfully cook good food on a Carpola rig has doubtless greatly increased yer fire management skills, an made ya a great candidate fer a NICE cooker...

We'uns, purty much all started right there, Sister.

Glad yer here, with us, now!

Welcome from southwest Florida.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here