Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Smoker from North Carolina, voted one of the two best Carolinas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Smoker from North Carolina, voted one of the two best Carolinas

Hi from the Piedmont region of NC. Been a backyard griller for years and now am getting into smoking with an 18.5 WSM smoker. Learning the ins and outs of it, been watching a lot of YouTube videos. Just bought the Meathead book and think it is fantastic! I'd like to smoke a turkey on it and want to practice over the next couple of weekends. I am wondering how people setup their WSM to capture the juices like in the book. Can folks shed some light on that for me?

Welcome from supposedly sunny Florida.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Sorry, but I don't have a WSM, so I can't help.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. Don't own a WSM. But I'm sure someone will be along soon who does.

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome fellow North Carolinian! I have a WSM and have smoked my share of turkeys on it. The way I set it up is by putting a large roasting pan on top of the lower grate, directly under the bird. Keep your water pan in place under the grate but line it with 2 layers of HD Reynolds wrap aluminum foil and leave it empty. You don't want to use water because it will keep the skin from getting crispy. There you have it, that's my set-up!

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 👆 I have a WSM also. And welcome to The Pit, we’re glad to have ya.
              Last edited by Panhead John; October 28, 2021, 04:23 PM.

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Greetings and welcome from North Carolina, neighbor!

Do your trials with large chickens. Similar results and way cheaper test subjects. Just did a 8lb chicken on the kettle with great results. Just 2 cents.

Comment

Welcome from southern Tennessee!

Comment

Welcome from Charlotte

Comment

Welcome from Chicagoland!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

Welcome from Tennessee!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C5941EC1-4067-48A1-9B90-C13C1C05C3F9.gif
Views:	225
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	1116742

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here