Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another FNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another FNG

Greetings from SE PA. I've been smoking meat (or trying to) for 20 years, and still learn something every time I click on this site or cook something. Right now my favorite rig is a simple 22" Weber with a SlowNSear. I've owned barrel smokers, a couple of Texas side box rigs, and a couple of gas smokers, and the Weber with SlowNSear makes better tasting food consistently with much less fussing if time is invested in setting it up.

My current obsession is digging a hole to cook meat in. When I lived and worked in SC, guys I worked with did this outside in back of the shop and cooked a whole pig (It appeared to take a few people in shifts overnight and 2 cases of beer). I've also spent time in the Yucatan, and this is done there too. I have plenty of space in which to do this, and will report on my first try at something smaller than a whole pig (like a butt) soon.

I'd also like to extend a big Thanks to the owner and contributors to this site. It's been my bible for years, and is more than worthy of the little financial support asked from those who are able to do so. For those who aren't, you still have an incredible source of correct information, and I would encourage y'all to remember that when your situation improves. If you know about websites, you recognize that this one is big and quite expensive to keep and maintain.

I'm looking forward to contributing and enjoying the knowledge of the community.

Welcome. I likewise have always wanted to do a pig roast in a pit. Unfortunately I don't have the space right now, but keep us updated. Remember pics!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I've worked too hard on my grass to do the pig in a pit thing....
        Welcome, looking forward to learning from you also.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Texas! We’re looking forward to seeing your finished product, bet it turns out great. And yeah, the Weber Kettle is definitely the workhorse around here. Pretty much all of us have one, at least.

The only thing I question here is the "2 cases of beer" part…. That’s all? That’s just happy hour around here.

Comment

It's great you got to experience Cochinita Pibil in Mexico. Pig from a pit is an old school classic, going back to the very origins of barbecue. Good to see you here, welcome !!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I too was a lurker here for awhile before I decided to join. It's been well worth the price of admission.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon.
                    Live Long and BBQ

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
                      Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

I looked & I read & I thought & couldn’t figger out what FNG is. Who cares! Welcome, eat good & have fun.

Comment

• swartzster
                              swartzster commented
                              Editing a comment
                              F’n new guy

• Panhead John
                              Panhead John commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Something tells me he’s gonna fit right in.

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here