Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Kansas City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Kansas City

Hi all,

New here and would say I am a below average bbq'er with average amount of experience.

I have always loved cooking and started my BBQ experience in college when I got a WSM for my 20th bday and quickly loved it. A few years and 3 kids later, I switched to a GMG as it was difficult to find the time to babysit the Weber.

I have smoked brisket, pulled pork, chicken wings, and heck even chocolate chip cookies on the GMG. BUT, a friend who has an offset stick burner recently brought over some pulled pork after we had our 3rd a couple of months ago and the difference has me re-evaluating my choice of smoker!

Looking forward to connecting with everyone!

Glad to have you here.
    Your in for an education so strap in.

Comment

Rock Chalk from a fellow Jayhawk now in Florida.

Comment

• RockChalkJhawk
        RockChalkJhawk commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent, smoking meat is a great alternative to watching the hawks get whooped on most Fall Saturdays!

Welcome from Minnesota. You are going to get lots of good cooking ideas here and even better ideas on how to spend your Children's College Fund on a New Smoker! Seriously...Enjoy The Pit!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome from Chicagoland. Have you tried using a smoke tube in your pellet smoker? It's a lot cheaper than a good offset smoker and will improve the smoke profile of your food. You might find it does the trick. Or you might decide that you need to spend your youngest's freshman tuition on an offset smoker. Oh, if you didn't have time to tend the WSM, how are you going to have time to tend an offset? Just something to think about. But, yes, a good offset cooker provides flavor that a pellet grill will never match. Get one, share pictures of it, post about your cooks, dive right into the Pit and have fun.

Comment

• RockChalkJhawk
            RockChalkJhawk commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the smoke tube and even put an aluminum pan in with charcoal and wood chips for the first couple hours of the smoke and it wasn't cutting it. I am at the point where I'd rather have less convenience (i.e. fire up the smoker less) than have the less than stellar end product.

Hello from NW Oregon.
          Thinking of a stick burner you are. Well, I watched the enclosed video, more than once, noting the skill set needed to produce good BBQ. In this example a Brisket.

I Bought the Cheapest Offset Smoker at Home Depot and Made a Brisket - YouTube

Comment

• RockChalkJhawk
            RockChalkJhawk commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting.. thanks!

Welcome from north Texas. You’ll have fun here. You’re already getting plenty of free advice and suggestions!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

Soon you will be above average with yer Q & average in experience, like next week mebbee. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

I'm jus a few mikes west of ya, in LFK!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was borned in St Mary's, KCMO, through no fault of my own...Story is: White-knuckled ride on glare ice in a '56 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(312 T-Bird Engine)...blew th front LH tire, pullin into th parkin lot...

It was th wee, wee hours, so they called a Doc in...when he got there, me Ma had already been labourin hard, an they had basically held her knees together @0622CST., I arrived, jus a day after John Glenn went up in Friendship 7 (Mercury-Atlas 6...)
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 7, 2021, 07:25 PM.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  An made 2-3 laps of Mother Earth, afore descendin in a flamin heap. God Bless Th Marines, AaaahhhOoorrraaahhh!!!

I hail from neighbourhood of Excelsior Springs, my ol man, he didn't trust th local yokel hopsital to be safe to deliver his babby, so he drove like 100-120mph, on glare ice, to git Ma to KCMO
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 7, 2021, 07:25 PM.

• Soonerpop
                  Soonerpop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now there’s a story, Bones. They just never stop. 👍🏻

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here