Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategies for those on sodium restricted diets.. It's so good to be back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies for those on sodium restricted diets.. It's so good to be back!

Recently, my doc informed me that I needed to lessen the amount of sodium I ate, along with other bad news. So, bummer right? Okay, game on, and here's what I've learned that may help some of you with those concerns.

For dry brining, use 1/2 the amount of salt you normally would, but brine longer. It takes less salt than you think to bring up the flavors. Much less.

For wet brines, use 1/2 the salt but add something acidic like vinegar or citrus.

For soy based marinades, use the low sodium types, but add some dark soy sauce, as its much lower in sodium and has a robust flavor too.

Dijon mustard is your friend. So is sweetening, in moderation. Same with vinegar and citrus juice and zest.

Salt your meat before using oil based marinades. Same with yogurt base marinades. You can, alternatively, lightly salt the yogurt marinated meat just before you fire it.

This should be a good start.

For more ideas, especially for classic type stuff, feel free to hit me up. After 45 years as a chef, maybe I can help.

Greetings and good tidings from Houston, Alaska!

Having been there once upon a time, I found the biggest part of the problem is not personal use of sodium but the processed, manufactured end of things where the sodium levels are quite high, & some times absurdly high.
    Welcome back Strat !
    Last edited by FireMan; September 5, 2021, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I eat very little processed food as well. Most of it sucks anyway...lol

I’m trying to go full carnivore diet. I stopped listening to my Drs long ago about diet to control my high BP. They really know jack s$@@. Welcome back

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, you went a little further than I did. So true, Dr’s & nutrition don’t mix. They are in the drug biz & knowledge of nutrition is archaic at best. Most of em anyways.

Welcome back and I will take you up on that!

Comment

Welcome back.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome back and thanks for the tips!

Comment

I am on a low sodium diet. Mild degree of heart failure. Been doing it for about a year. I would add, thank God for swiss cheese. Worcester sauce can supplement soy as well. And, hot pepper sauces vary wildly in sodium content (i.e., Frank's 2
            190 mg vs. Secret Aardvark is 40 mg).

Welcome.
            Last edited by Murdy; September 5, 2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Ditto on processed food containing salt and sugars. I try not to eat anything from a Box. and read labels.

Comment

• Strat50
                Strat50 commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed

Welcome back!

Comment

Welcome back from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome back Strat! Good to hear from you.

Comment

Welcome back form north Texas.

Comment

Happy to see you back, Stratman!

Comment

• Strat50
                        Strat50 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you, my brother from another mother...

Welcome back Strat! You were missed!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here