Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the High Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the High Country

Hey folks, new membership but long time lurker here.

Pondered getting a smoker for years since everyone in my extended family is a pure-bred carnivore.

Finally took the dive back in early spring and bought an Old Smokey (drum-style electric smoker). After the excitement wore off, I realized I had NO IDEA how to cook on it. While trying to figure out what to do, I stumbled on this site.

Made a batch of Meathead’s Rub (recipe is 100% legit). Then I followed his Boston Butt recipe to the letter. The result was pretty darn good. Made a believer out of me...not to mention my wife who was extremely skeptical about me getting the smoker to being with.

I’ve smoked 3-4 butts so far, preparing to do my first turkey breast (special request from my wonderful wife). This site is amazing, I can’t tell you how much I’ve learned about smoking, grilling, prep, etc. in the past 5 months here. Very excited about joining, I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions for all of you!

Welcome to The Pit.

If you enjoyed your butts, try smokin' a chuck roast. It's smoked the same way, but most would prefer salt and pepper for the rub. Some also add onion and garlic powders. If you dry brine the meat, leave the salt out of the rub.
    Last edited by RonB; July 25, 2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• bunky2021
      bunky2021 commented
      Editing a comment
      May actually try that, Ron. My mother fed us a lot of chuck roasts growing up, and now I don’t like ‘em. But cooking it on the smoker may help me like ‘em again.

Welcome to The Pit! Glad to have ya. Congrats on your successful cooks. But, be forewarned, we will soon be cajoling you into getting more cookers and accessories. MCS (more cooker syndrome) will soon set in and alas, there is no known cure. It is futile to resist.
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 25, 2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

• bunky2021
          bunky2021 commented
          Editing a comment
          Western Mass is a beautiful area, my son’s been working in the Berkshire’s this summer!

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Isn’t marvelous that yer wife thinks yer a genius? She’s gotta "love ya honey now"! Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from TN

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Howdy from The Great State of Jefferson!!

Comment

• bunky2021
                    bunky2021 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Love your avatar, Captain...good stuff!

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

Welcome from Chicagoland.

Comment

Welcome, hello, from NW Oregon
                      Hot smoking butts, can't go wrong with them.
                      You want to try brisket with burnt ends, or Pork belly burnt ends.
                      Now I'm a believer,
                      Can't leave BBQ'r if I tried.

Comment

• bunky2021
                        bunky2021 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, a friend of mine keeps talking about burnt ends. So I suppose I'll be trying that soon.

• bbqLuv
                        bbqLuv commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pork Belly Burnt Ends, A friend told me "Holy Crap! They're delicious!"

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here