Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New To BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To BBQ

I'm a good cook. In a kitchen. I know how to prep, cook and clean. I want to move some of my cooking outdoors. I am now torn over getting say a Weber Genesis II S435, or a Smokefire EX6 Gen II.

I will mostly cook vegetables and birds. Maybe a set of pork ribs or burgers. I'm stuck on what to get.

I am mostly looking at Weber as my bank reward points allow me to get products through channels such as Home Depot which carries both.

Gas looks so quick and easy. And doing a split deck for indirect low and slow seems reasonable. Accept controlling the temp is not as easy. And I don't know the surface is very even with heat distribution.

Pellet looks nice for ribs. But do I want a smoke flavor on all my vegetables and birds every time. I don't think so. My wife is not a big smoke flavor person. And I myself like a clean, fresh flavor to my food.

Hmmmmm. Any help on how to think this through. Or do I really know I just need to get a gasser and call it a day.
    Rex

Welcome!

Well, gas is not going to add any smoke flavor.

However, pellets offer the ability to control the level of smoke by varying the temp and/or adding a smoke tube among other things. So if you value a smoke flavor and your wife is more picky, you probably have more options to find the right level of smoke for each cook to satisfy the both of you with some experimenting. You are also beginning with a lighter smoke profile than charcoal.

That said your comment regarding a clean fresh taste implies that maybe you are not that excited about smoke. Can you clarify?
    Last edited by STEbbq; July 13, 2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us.

I'm currently gauging opinions of what would usually be considered a persons first smoker/grill. The consensus so far is going with the SnS kettle. With the Slow n Sear you have different package options, but for the price, I would just go with the Deluxe.

SnS also has inserts for the Weber kettles. I had one, and gave it away when I got my pellet smoker with sear box. I have to admit, that was a dumb thing to do.

Some pellet smokers are getting better at doubling as grills, but that is certainly not their strong suit.
      As for being able to put a decent smoke flavor when cooking hot (above 250*) on a pellet smoker, it can be done quite easily. A pellet smoker will never give the depth of smoke flavor you get from charcoal/wood, or a straight up stick burner. However in your case, with the missus not being a big fan of smoke, this might not be a bad thing.

Comment

Welcome from Farmville, Va...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Of your two choices, the Smokefire will definitely have more smoke flavor. And you can get a smoke tube to add a little smoke flavor to a gas grill when desired, so that's what I would recommend.

You haven't listed a location yet, but if you have a craigslist in your area, you might be able to get a used Weber Kettle for a song to help judge if charcoal is for you and your wife.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

Welcome to the pit.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! We’re glad to have you.

"Pellet looks nice for ribs. But do I want a smoke flavor on all my vegetables and birds every time. I don't think so. My wife is not a big smoke flavor person. And I myself like a clean, fresh flavor to my food."

It sounds like you like the taste of indoor cooking, but just don’t want to mess up the kitchen. I’d recommend eating at some really good BBQ places first and seeing what you like, before taking the plunge on a new cooker.
                Last edited by Panhead John; July 14, 2021, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• Stuey1515
                  Stuey1515 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is good advice IMO, even if the source is somewhat dubious haha

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Welcome from Virginia. The responses you have gotten so far are great. You will not get smoke from the gasser as mentioned. However, I will say that once you get into this hobby you will not stop with one cooker. You will have 2 or 3 or more. If it were me, I would start with the gasser and learn the ropes and then look at other cookers to add to your arsenal.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Good luck with your Grill decision.

Comment

Welcome from another Marylander. I'm still taking in all the advice from these very knowledgeable people, so I don't have anything to add that's better than their input.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here