Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello!

In new to the forums but not new to using Meatheads recipes, So far I have enjoyed the pulled pork, brisket, Katz Pastrami, and others...

Going to another pulled port for the 4th, got a 15lb butt that I'm hopping should take more than 15-20 hours

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Ya might want to cut that butt in half or even thirds. It will cook faster and you will get more bark.

Comment

• TheWizardKnows
        TheWizardKnows commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not done that yet, the direction I have seen were to find the bone and cut below it. Does that leave the fat cap on one half. Does the bone just hangout exposed or do I remove the bone also?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        First, ya don't need the fat cap, or at least no more than 1/4". Most people won't eat that much fat, and if the bark is on the fat, you will lose it. I trim all the cap because there is enough intramuscular for flavor and moisture.

If the bone is exposed when you divide it, I'd just remove it. You may have to tie each piece in order to consolidate them for more even cooking.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        +2

Welcome from Pittsburgh, PA!

Comment

Welcome from the California delta.

Comment

Welcome from Northern Illinois

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome from TN

Comment

Welcome from St. Cloud, FL.

Comment

Ok Wiz, you just got some primo advice from ol’ RonB , so we’ll be watchin ya, yessir. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Greetings and welcome from North Carolina.

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here