Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a smoke vault 24 for fathers day. Yes I have great kids! Any tips or advice would be great. I smoked country style ribs last night. They had a good flavor but were a little dry. I thought it would be a great way to get started.

Welcome to the Pit from Illinois. I do most of my smoking on a Weber kettle, so can't really help on the Vault style specifically.

Comment

Country-style ribs and how to cook them.One way from the free section of Amazing Ribs: Recipe Search - Meathead's AmazingRibs.com
      There are mass quantities of how-tos on youtube, How to BBQ Right, Meat church, for starters.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I've looked at that recipe, and find that the country style ribs I can get around here are literally just strips cut from the Boston butt. The country ribs in Meathead's recipe seem to be more like pork loin as he is only grilling them to 140ish. Some parts of the country - apparently Chicago where Meathead is - may cut them from the loin/rib area, but around here, its all from the shoulder/butt.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Malcome reed, How to BBQ Right, has an informative video on both types of country-style ribs and his explanation on the difference. The country-style pork rib that is actually from the loin/ribs is hard to find here in NW Oregon.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv I have never seen the style cut from the loin/rib area here either, and that is what the recipe on the free side is discussing. That recipe needs to note that it doesn't apply to the ones cut from the shoulder.

jcgoff24 Welcome to the pit from Alabama!

Several users on here use the SV24 and it seems to be a great smoker. Paging texastweeter as I think he has one.

Country ribs are really just cut up strips of the "Boston butt" aka pork shoulder in most cases, and need to be cooked differently than you would cook actual ribs. Most smoke then for a few hours, then braise in a pan with liquid until they are tender. Depending on the thickness, I think country ribs might take a lot longer to smoke than regular ribs, and if you felt they were dry, they may have actually been underdone. They will be done between 195F and 205F internal temperature, just liked pulled pork. The braising in a foil covered pan speeds up the cook to get them done faster.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Or sometimes you can get country ribs from the loin which could really make them dry.

• jcgoff24
        jcgoff24 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think my water tray went dry for the last 30 minutes or so. The temperature shot up really high before I realized it. That probably contributed to them being dry. Plus, they were loin cut. Several people said they are dryer than butt cut.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        jcgoff24 yeah - loin cut you only cook to about 140F internal temperature. Those really are not ideal for smoking so much as grilling, per the recipe over on the free side of Amazing Ribs.

Welcome from the California Delta. Cabinet smokers are great. Do up a bone in pork shoulder to pull... Or some St Louis ribs. Lots of good recipes on here.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. One of my smokers is a Smoke Vault and it produces some fine food. Two things to remember about it is to slowly turn the gas valve on. They sometimes have a habit of triggering a safety inside the valve if it believes too much gas is flowing. Slowly opening the feed valve prevents the lockup. Also, the temperature control only needs millimeters of adjustment. When I first got mine years ago I was chasing temperatures all the time because the dial is so sensitive. However once I realized this it is almost set and forget. It makes a great baking machine too which is how I mostly use it now.

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from TN

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome from Pittsburgh, PA!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado …

Comment

Great way to git started, yessir. Now, I juss wanna see the smile on yer face 6 mos from now when you tell us how yer Wibs turned out. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here