Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New from Gilroy, Ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts. Sorry no experience with your cooker

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! Hoping someone here can advise.

Comment

JFULLINGTON Welcome to the Pit from Rocket City USA (Huntsville, Alabama).

While I don't have a PR36, I do have an offset smoker that can double as a grill, with a 24x36 cooking grate, so it is a little deeper than the PR36 but about the same length. I have a slide in charcoal tray I use when grilling, and an end firebox I use when smoking. Charcoal consumption is similar to what they list for the PR36 - i.e. close to 40 pounds for a long smoke of butts or brisket.

I think your issue is that one chimney of charcoal is not much to heat up a cooker the size of the PR36 when used in grill mode for high heat cooking. If I want to grill on my offset, it probably takes two or three lit chimneys if I want to cook on the entire grate. Meadow Creek's spec sheet implies it takes 10 pounds of charcoal - probably two chimneys, or more - to set the PR36 up for direct grilling mode.

Anyway, if you don't need the full grate one chimney is fine, as long as you keep it somewhat piled together under one part of the cooking grate. However, don't expect the built in thermometer to give you a true reading of grate level cooking temperature when not loading the cooker down with charcoal. You'll need to just play it by ear, or use an IR thermometer maybe.

Comment

Thanks to all. I will try stacking the coals a tad more. Other than the searing issue, this machine is awesome.

Comment

You could also call Meadow Creek and ask them. I’m sure they have some tips and tricks.

Comment

Welcome from the Central Valley. Gilroy is one of our favorite day trip destinations. Some nice little wineries around there. We took the kids to Gilroy Gardens once, and checked out the garlic festival another time. Also did some hiking at Mt. Madonna. Hope you enjoy the Pit.

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

Welcome, from SF East Bay! Here's a chimney sear from last night. I didn't think to turn it upside down, but the ahi turned out wonderful.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi from Maryland!

Comment

Hello from Santa Cruz! We’re neighbors!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here