Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Group -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Group -

My first post - so be gentle …….

I am brining a 4lb brisket flat for pastrami. Based on the recipe and calculator, it looks like a 4 day swim.

Now I’m a bit worried about just doing the flat with no point. I am concerned that it may dry while on the coals and in the smoke whereas the point from a whole brisket would help to keep the flat moist.

Am I over thinking this or should I just proceed with business as usual. (I saw one poster sous-vided his short rib pastrami after smoking to 160-170). Maybe that would finish the cooking and keep the pastrami bark.

Anyway, thanks for any feedback and I will report whatever happens with this brisket flat.

Bill C
    Attached Files

Can't help with your pastrami. But welcome to the Pit from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome!

I’ve smoked point and flat separately for pastrami with chunks that are similarly sized or larger.

The remaining steps are desalination for at least half a day and up to a day or so, rub on for a day or two and then smoke anywhere between 225-275 until it reaches 203 or probe tender.

I never had problems with dryness and I wouldn’t be concerned unless you were cooking at like 400 or something.

Comment

Welcome from north Texas. No help with pastrami, but you’ll get some I’m sure. Have fun.

Comment

What no Smile?
          Hello from NW Oregon.
          Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

Howdy from south Texas!

Comment

javaminit Glad to meet you, and welcome from Huntsville, Alabama, USA!

I did the exact cook you are thinking of doing a while back, and documented it here:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...770#post984770

Basically, I smoked a 4 pound flat (after desalinating and then applying the pastrami rub), then rather than steam it to finish, vacuum sealed it and finished the next day in the SV bath at 195F. Came out spectacular, and I do not feel it was dry at all.

I feel it would have been fine as well if I had wrapped it in foil and finished it after the bark was where I wanted it to be. The cook I discuss in those posts was stretched out due to the fact I was still learning temperature control on a new cooker, but I will definitely repeat it again. Maybe soon, as I have another corned beef flat in the freezer...
              Last edited by jfmorris; May 18, 2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

Be gentle? Be gentle? Lemme ask you a sirryus question. With a statement like that, what would you expect to happen? You have been around long enough to know we have the potential to be a pack of wolves circling it’s prey, salivating, waiting to strike when it is most advantageous & you are most vulnerable. The smell is in the air & we are just ready fer the lead dog to give the signal, then strike & only leave bones. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from Farmville, Va...

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here