Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boman here. What's good, y'all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boman here. What's good, y'all.

Hey everybody. I'm from upstate SC. Been running smokers since I was seven. Recently had the opportunity to buy a large EOS from Bacon Bros Public House (the local smokehouse that cooked the rehearsal dinner for my wedding) and decided it was time to get serious and finally develop some formal knowledge about best practices.

When I'm not cooking, I'm a sysdamin at a multinational corporation, a contract-based custom wood burn artist, and am on a couple county committees supporting the rollout of public/private centralized automated mass transit systems in Greenville County. Great to be here.

Welcome to the pit JHBoman! Nice looking smoker you got there, is it a full pork (hind) leg I see on the grate?

Comment

JHBoman You got serious alright with that rig. Welcome to the Pit

Comment

Nice grab on that rig and thanks for the support!!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Henrik it is indeed a green ham! And I also learned that if I try to cook it at 225, it takes 14 hours. Gonna have to do higher heat the next round, but it's all a learning experience. Got a buddy who just moved into the area from Texas who was also experimenting with his brisket rub on a cut of tri-tip on the top rack there (turned out great; I'd definitely recommend tri-tip as a good substitute for a full brisket if you want it done in three hours).

Comment

Well, considering it is a rather large piece of meat (the full ham), I would cut it into several roasts. You have four different cuts in there. Or at the very least separate it into a ham hock and a deboned ham roast. That way you will reduce cooking time.

When deboning (assuming you pulled the skin off), do a straight cut on the inside thigh, starting at the knee. Push your finger down where the bone is, and follow/trace it with your thumb. Should be a straight line to the hip joint. You can then "un-roll" or unwrap the meat from the bone with minimal loss. Once that is done, either wrap it up in a butcher's net (for a full roast), or cut the roast into four different cuts (following the separation between the muscles).

Comment

• JHBoman
                  JHBoman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent tips, all of them! Definitely going to have to do it that way next round.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome Aboard Boman!

Comment

Welcome JHBoman to the pit. Nice rig. You definitely got serious. Expect to see some pics of that rig in action.

Comment

​Welcome to The Pit JHBoman! Nice rig! So, you're from North South Carolina? Mind=blown. Well, not really, but welcome anyway.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• JHBoman
                        JHBoman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Got it; thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here