Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Rolf in Northern VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Rolf in Northern VA

Hello Folks

I have been reading a lot lately and this forum has the highest concentration of science and wisdom i have run across. That's not to say the others are not helpful and useful tips. I have a pretty good BS detector so I am pretty good about avoiding old husband tales, but why not hang out here so I don't have to? So, here I am and I have joined up with a paid membership.

I figure I have been cooking for about 50 years. My Mom made sure that all her sons and daughters could completely skip the hot dogs and mac and cheese stage of development. I have 2 sisters and 3 brothers, plus various semi-siblngs so Mom expected us to help with cooking, especially on vacation.

My Grandfather was a gourmet chef and taught me some good tips as well giving me a lot of recipes.

While I can bake a cake and make cookies, I have never much bothered with much baking, other than biscuits.

I have never been a huge follower of recipes, but I have found the need to do so less and less over time. I do use recipes as a guide, and for new ideas. When it comes to seasoning I have good instincts (I was a farmer for a while and we grew herbs and I got to try many different things, and also made descriptions for customers, so that may have helped).

I will admit I am a very lazy cook. I rarely collect together the exact ingredients I need for a specific meal, I just decide what I am in the mood for, look in the fridge and pantry and go for it. Of course there are certain staples I generally have on hand, including I huge assortment of herbs (mostly) and spices. I also keep some Dizzy Dust rubs on hand. The are a local brand, but above all else I just love their stuff. I will have to make a post about that. I have found certain brands of dried garlic chunks that are nearly as good as fresh when in a hurry!

When I was a kid we used to cook burgers and big chuck steaks on a basic grill or more often a hibachi. We used newspaper and sticks from the yard as kindling, and then briquets on top of those coals. Nothing fancy. It wasn't until a room mate asked me if I wanted a steak (of course I said yes) and then went out in the middle of the winter and fired up his propane grill that I started to wonder about gas. The next time I moved I was in an apartment and I decided I would get a mini-propane grill. I promised myself I would never grill with propane with out wood chips. Fast forward through a number of grill (mostly freebie hand-me-downs) until I got my first propane grill capable of truly searing ( a used Genesis 3). That was quite the epiphany.

But that was all grilling not BBQ. I am a broadcast engineers but went through a rather long period of underemployment after the great recessions. Most of that was working at Ace hardware. I was part of the crew that opened one store, and when the owners expanded I was part of the crew that brought that store to life and became assistant manager. I had considerable training on Weber and BGE. As an engineer type person I immediately saw the relationship between insulation, fire oxygen use and airflow and drying. It was very clear to me why food on a Kamado dries out less. This is the only site I have run across that describes this fact.

Of course being underemployed I could not afford a BGE. After my divorce my wife (who was not underemployed at that time) asked me if I would buy her an egg with my employee discount. I was unable to convince her to get a large, so medium it was. I cooked on it a number of times at her house. I came up with the idea of smoking commercial corned beef to make pastrami, one of my favorite meats.

Anyway, this year she gave/I bought the medium BGE to me and now my BBQ smoking journey has begun for real! So far I am off to a great start.

Sorry this is so long.... everyone I know says I talk too much!
    Last edited by RolfTaylor; May 9, 2021, 03:50 PM.

Welcome from the West suburbs of Chicago!

We look forward to learning from your experiences!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
      Rolf.. sounds very Norwegian.. 😁
      Cheers from.. Norway RolfTaylor

Comment

Nice, thorough intro! Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Also in Northern VA.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Rolf ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Rolf.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Elton's BBQ View Post
                    Welcome to the Pit!
                    Rolf.. sounds very Norwegian.. 😁
                    Cheers from.. Norway RolfTaylor
                    Hello,

I have rather old Anglo roots (including very distant connection to royalty) so I am probably tied into most of Europe including Norway. But no specific Norweigan nor German roots. Apparently my older siblings proposed the name!

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

Yup, we are highly concentrated in science & full of wisdom! Whew are we! We are rilly good at heppin ya spend yer money, yessir. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

PS. You might type to much too. 🕶
                            Last edited by FireMan; May 9, 2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Pittsburgh, PA!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here