Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Japan

Hi everyone. I am a Marine veteran living in Japan. I have my Weber Performer and am looking to start smoking on it. I look forward to learning from everyone.

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

First thing: get a SnS Slow and Sear. Turns your Weber kettle into a smoker and more. Amazon.

Comment

• drtymc
          drtymc commented
          Editing a comment
          I was just reading the review on the Slow and Sear and I am definitely sold. I will order today. Thank you for your support.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

AND welcome to The Pit!

Comment

Welcome from the California semi-Bay Area

Comment

First off, thank you for your service! We love all our veterans here in The Pit. You’ll have fun here, lots of good, friendly and helpful people Also consider, if ya don’t have one, getting a Vortex for your kettle. It’ll make some the best wings you’ve had.

Comment

• drtymc
                drtymc commented
                Editing a comment
                I just ordered the vortex. Thank you for your support also.

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Huntsville, Alabama! Thank you for your service, and great to have you here. The Performer is a great grill, and I’ve smoked many ribs, butts and briskets on mine, in addition to grilling up lots of chicken, burgers and chops. I have even deep fried on it with a cast iron dutch oven, keeping the grease and mess outside.

Comment

• drtymc
                      drtymc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for your support. I just told my wife about the deep frying outside and she is thrilled. The less mess i make for her the better. LOL

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      drtymc yeah - the way I do it is using a Slow 'N Sear insert for the kettle, which basically banks the coals up on one side of the kettle. Temperature control is achieved by simply sliding the dutch oven or skillet more or less over the hot charcoal. You can probably achieve the same effect if you use some bricks to make a wall to hold charcoal up against one side of the kettle. Another add on that would do the trick is called the Vortex.

Youkoso.

I'm a retired Corpsman (Fleet Marine Force) and I lived on the economy for 10 years when I was stationed there. Introduced my neighbors to smoking and had many wonderful parties where grilling was the star.

Do you still have access to the military postal service? That will be the biggest help because grilling as we know it is still not common in many parts of Japan. Find out if there's a hardware store where you live, they often carry charcoal (sumi). It's lump and burns hot although the boxes are only about 5-10 lbs at the max.

I've got a great story of a retired SgtMaj who was part of the first occupation forces in Yokosuka and ran a restaurant down the road from the first house we rented in 1981. I look forward swapping stories and hearing about your adventures.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Many thanks for your service, from an ol Air Det Seabee.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here